[teqc] MultiPath with L1 GPS receiver

James Johnson jjohnson at ucar.edu
Thu Feb 3 18:06:51 MST 2005

Dear Hannan,

Teqc requires dual frequency data in order to a multipath estimate.
This is because teqc looks at a long term difference between the phase
and code measurements while removing the ionosphere.  In principle, you
can do this with single frequency data over a short period of time, but
after some time the L1 phase and C/A measurements will diverge due to
the ionosphere (phase advance on L1 and group delay on C/A).  What you
want to look at is a running average of C/A - L1*lambda where C/A is
the pseudo range measurement, L1 is the phase measurement in cycles,
and lambda is the wavelength of L1.  If you use a running average of a
10 min, you should be able to see the multipath signal, an you could
look at the RMS of this value (with steps removed caused by possible
cycle slips).  Unfortunately teqc does not do this.

I think you will find quite a bit of multipath with long wavelengths
(2-5 min), especially if you are using a cheap patch antenna.

Hope this helps,
-Jim