[teqc] Looking for replacement GPS boards

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Fri Dec 9 15:18:07 MST 2005

Carsten Kurz wrote:

> Am 09.12.2005 um 18:51 schrieb michalk:
>
>> The Ashtech (Thales) DG14 and DG16 look like they might work.  What is
>> the thought from this group for a board about this size, 5VDC?
>>

> The formerly CMC, now Novatel, SuperStarII boards are available in a
> huge variety of update rate, voltage, DGPS etc. options. CMC binary
> support is built into teqc. Boards with raw data go for about 160 US$.
> Novatel is now actively improving the firmware further from the CMC state.
>
> Easy to get them in test quantities from gpsetc.com.
>
> The ublox SAM-Lx platform is very good, cheap and small (Once they even
> had Rockwell Board replacements).
>
> http://home-2.worldonline.nl/~samsvl/TIM-LP.htm
>
> The ublox binary raw data format is implemented for straight forward
> RINEX generation. I 'd really like to see ublox binary support being
> built into teqc. There is a Rinex converter available from helenav.com
>
> ublox product documentation is probably the best in the OEM GPS industry.

I've used the Ashtech G12 boards (predecessor of the DG14/DG16) and had
excellent results with them.  Ashtech had code to take their binary into
RINEX and I seem to recall using tecq to do the same.

I've not used the Novatel boards but they sound like a good approach too.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020
FAX:  979.847.8578 Pager:  979.228.0173