[teqc] Re: compact plots

Lou Estey lou at unavco.org
Thu Jun 26 09:39:27 MDT 2008

> Dear Lou,
>
> I would like graphically view .ele files.  I have tried using the
> programs listed as 'QC viewers' (QCVIEW, GT, QC2SKY) on the UNAVCO
> software page, but they all return errors.  Example from the use of QCVIEW:

> D:\Work\Purdue\GPS\TYLER_~1\NETRS_~1\RF0520~1.053\PU04>qcview
> PU04_2008_53.ele
> Could not open file 'PU04_2008_53.ele'
> No files to plot
> Version date: 06/12/94
>
> The original .ele file is slightly over 20MB, created by converting a
> 5Hz .T00 NetRS file (.T00 converted to .dat using RUNPKR00 then to rinex
> using teqc).  I am sending a truncated copy with this email.
>
> Should these programs work?  Do you know of any other existing method
> to   plot the compact files?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Tyler
 > --
 > Tyler Lulich
 > Graduate Research Assistant
 >
 > Purdue University
 > School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
 > Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering
 > 701 West Stadium Avenue
 > West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
 >
 > +1.715.209.5767
 > lulich at purdue.edu

hi Tyler,

I didn't let your entire email go to the teqc list due its size w/ attachments,
but you are asking some good questions.

The last time I used qcview was years ago -- probably on Windows 95 or 98 --
and it did still work then.  Maybe Jim Johnson, the author of qcview and the
Solaris equivalent (gt), might care to comment, but I suspect Jim would be
shocked if it did still work on modern Windows systems with 20 MB files.

One or two other users have commented that they have had trouble with Marco
Roggero's QC2SKY program, too.

I haven't heard any complaints about Steve Hilla's cf2ps, but that requires
installing GMT ... and the potential energy barrier for that exercise is
probably a little too high for many GPS users.  (But you're a graduate
student -- lots of energy to burn! ;)

I've actually been pushing for UNAVCO to put some resources toward a new
graphical interface for the qc information for, oh, about 11-12 years now.
Back then, the direction might have been a Java app, but we were dubious
about cross-platform support for all OSs that teqc was being compiled
for at that time (Solaris, HPUX, SGI IRIX, IBM AIX, DEC OSFI, Linux,
Windows).  And personally, I'm now glad we didn't go that route.

The best modern solution, I think, would be a compiled Flex app run in
a Flash plug-in in your browser (e.g. Firefox, Safari on Macs, and yes,
even IE on Windows -- assuming you are not using something else like Firefox).
Also, I think it would make more sense to have the various qc time series
all be in a specially designed BINEX record so that only one file would be
needed for everything and it would be far more compact than the original
"compact" ASCII files now being generated (which are a legacy from the
original Fortran QC program developed at UNAVCO).  If you qc users
think that something like this should be developed by UNAVCO to replace
the current clunky methodology, I encourage you to let management at
UNAVCO know.

The short answer is that, unfortunately, there is no UNAVCO-supported way
of looking at the current ASCII "compact" plot files generated by teqc.

Louis H. Estey, Ph.D.              office:  [+001] 303-381-7456
UNAVCO, 6350 Nautilus Drive           FAX:  [+001] 303-381-7451
Boulder, CO  80301-5554            e-mail:  lou  unavco.org
    WWW:  http://www.unavco.org   http://jules.unavco.org

"If the universe is the answer, what is the question?"
                                                -- Leon Lederman