[teqc] UNAVCO Job Announcement: Software Developer GNSS
boler at unavco.org
Fri Oct 3 08:37:04 MDT 2008
UNAVCO, a Boulder based company, invites applications for the FULL-
TIME position of SOFTWARE DEVELOPER to work at our UNAVCO office in
Boulder, Colorado. This individual will work as member of the
Facility Data Group and will support UNAVCO’s Data Archive,
Engineering Group, and scientific community through software
development for data translation, editing and quality checking of
Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) data.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Collaborates with Senior Software Engineer on maintaining and
enhancing UNAVCO’s TEQC (Translation, Editing, Quality Checking –
software that translates raw GNSS receiver data formats to RINEX,
edits, and quality checks GNSS data) and other software to support
data management operations.
· Under guidance from senior staff, works to incorporate new
binary translations into TEQC for new GNSS data formats.
· Under guidance from senior staff, works to rigorously
incorporate mathematical formulas for GNSS data quality checking into
· Develops user tools to graphically display GNSS data quality
checking parameters through standalone and web applications.
· Collaborates with UNAVCO development and testing engineers
and GNSS receiver manufacturers to enhance TEQC to handle requirements
for testing GNSS receivers.
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, with significant
physics coursework; or
· Bachelor’s degree in one of the following disciplines with
significant Computer Science coursework: Aerospace Engineering,
Physics, Atmospheric Physics or Geophysics.
· A minimum of two years of recent work experience in using C
or C++, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Proficient in software development using C or C++. Experience
with Perl, Java.
· Experience with manipulating binary data files.
· Experience with coding mathematical formulas for scientific
· Proficient with compiling on multiple OS’s including Solaris,
Linux, Windows, and MacOS.
· Experience with computing in networked computing environment
utilizing UNIX and Linux operating systems, preferably Sun-Solaris and
RedHat Linux, and utilizing Microsoft Windows (NT/2000/XP).
· Comfortable learning new software tools such as Flex.
· Advanced skills in oral and written communication in English.
· Knowledge of Global Navigation Satellite Systems theory,
especially signal structure, is desired.
· General satellite systems knowledge is desired.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should submit their resumes and
cover letter to www.unavco.org/careers. NO PHONE CALLS or EMAILS,
UNAVCO (www.unavco.org) is a non-profit membership-governed consortium
funded through the National Science Foundation (NSF) and National
Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). UNAVCO's mission is to
support and promote high-precision measurement techniques for the
advancement of Earth Sciences. Member organizations are primarily
research universities who study deformation of the Earth's crust,
addressing mechanisms for large and small scale tectonic features and
processes, such as earthquakes, volcanoes, plate motion, faulting and
folding, and mountain building.
UNAVCO offers a very competitive set of benefits including medical,
dental/vision insurance, STD, LTD, Life insurance, and TIAA-CREF.
Salary will be commensurate with responsibilities and experience.
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a
highly qualified staff that reflects the diversity of our nation.
More information about the teqc