[teqc] Suggest

Lou Estey lou at unavco.org
Tue Aug 4 09:06:49 MDT 2009

Björn and other teqc/Windows users,

>>> This could be useful to show help not using pause of system, as I'm
>>> using
>>>
>>> teqc -help | more
>> `teqc +help | more` (or `teqc -help | more`, which does the same) --
>> expect for maybe Windows users.
>
> pipeing with '|' has always worked in the windows/dos command-shell.
> 'more' has also always been available in 'commandline' Windows. The
> problem is indeed to make windows _users_ rediscover lost knowledge. ;-)

I don't know about "always", but another teqc user sent me a link to
the current Microsoft DOS command line redirection operators:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/redirection.mspx?mfr=true

UNIX shell users will note that, yes, Microsoft is definitely there now.
But this wasn't always so.  E.g. MS knowledgebase article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/110930 says that stderr redirection
became first possible in Windows NT 3.1 (July 1993).  This is consistent
with my recollection in '96 and early '97 for needing to have the
"+err" and "+out" options in teqc: we were trying to have a way
for pure DOS users and Windows 95 users on DOS interface (which were
still heavily in use at that time) have the same capabilities as
UNIX shell users.

The same teqc (and Windows/DOS) user also wrote:
---------
Pipe filters like "find", "sort" and "more" have been around for
ALAIR. Looks like "more" is a feature of command interpreter (there's
no more.exe or more.com file), which is an indication that "more" was
introduced earlier as a fake pipe.
find.exe and sort.exe are standalone apps and can operate on stdin as
well as a file specified in parameters.
---------
In fact be very wary of any "more.exe".  There are almost 5000 hits
on Google with ["more.exe" malware] as the search pattern.  There might
be a friendly more.exe out there, but it sounds like there are also
one or more nasty versions.

Is there a grep.exe (or equivalent) for Windows?  UNIX `grep` is what I
find the most useful when trying to find something ... like from
`teqc +help`, which was the original point of this thread.  You all
think I can remember all the teqc options?  :)  No, I just remember
enough to `grep` for what I want to find, e.g. stuff with L2:

[626] teqc +help | grep -i l2
         -P[codes]            P-codeless (L2-squaring) or C/A-L1-only receiver
         +P[codes]            normal dual-frequency receiver (including L2C-capable) (default)
         +L2                  expect and use L2-carrier data (default)
         -L2                  don't expect L2-carrier data
         +L2_2                keep L2 cycle data if L2 is squared (default)
         -L2_2                delete L2 cycle data if L2 is squared
         +L2C_L2              use phase value in L2C code block as L2
         -L2C_L2              use phase value in P2 code block as L2 (default)
                                            "str" = L1L2C1P2 renames 4 observables to be L1 L2 C1 P2, and in that order
                                            "str" = L1L2C1P2 sets 4 observables to be L1 L2 C1 P2, and in that order
                 +ion                     compute L2-ionospheric observable (default)
                 -ion                     don't compute L2-ionospheric observables
                 +iod                     compute L2-ionospheric derivative (default)
                 -iod                     don't compute L2-ionospheric derivative
                 -ion_jump[cm] #          set maximum L2-ionospheric change to be # cm (default = 3.403e+38)
                 -iod_jump[cm/min] #      set maximum L2-ionospheric time-rate of change to be # cm/minute (default = 400.0)
                 -min_L2 #                set minimum allowable L2 S/N RINEX code to 0 <= # <= 9 (default = 0)
                 +mp                      compute L1 and L2 multipath observables (default)
                 -mp                      don't compute L1 and L2 multipath observables
                 +pl                      compute L1 and L2 pseudorange-phase observables
                 -pl                      don't compute L1 and L2 pseudorange-phase observables (default)