[teqc] -tbin option intermittently removing comments from second and subsequent obs files

Lou Estey lou at unavco.org
Fri Jul 8 07:46:41 MDT 2016

hi Neville,

You can send me (not the teqc list) a sample set that exhibits this behaviour with comment
lines in the RINEX, but there's only a small chance this will ever get fixed.  But I will
take a look when I get some spare time.

The primary reason the '-tbin' option was developed was to help with cases where
the input files, in time, did not map one-to-one or many-to-one with the desired output
RINEX (or BINEX) in time.  The logic for '-tbin' is not simple and the focus is on time
windowing, not all the extra fluff of RINEX (but fortunately most of the extra fluff
works); and dealing with comments in RINEX, in general, is a complex, messy rat hole.
If you have 24-hour daily .tgd files and are making 24-hour daily RINEX files from them,
it is much cleaner to just create each daily RINEX as a separate teqc command and then
the comment lines should be as you expect.

Another alternative is to not worry about comments in creating the RINEX files using the
single '-tbin' run and then after it is finished, do another teqc run on each RINEX file
that was created and, if need be, edit it (adding whatever comments, etc.).

As for the optional INTERVAL header line: I suspect that the reason it shows up in the
second (and later?) RINEX obs files, but not the first one, is that by the time teqc has
gotten to the second file it knows what the interval is.  If you are not supplying the
interval (with '-O.int' or '-O.dec'), then the interval is not going to be known for
the header of the first file.

Hope this helps.

Louis H. Estey, Ph.D.              office:  [+001] 303-381-7456
UNAVCO, 6350 Nautilus Drive           FAX:  [+001] 303-381-7451
Boulder, CO  80301-5554            e-mail:  lou  unavco.org
      WWW:  http://www.unavco.org   http://jules.unavco.org

"If the universe is the answer, what is the question?"
                                                -- Leon Lederman