[teqc] -tbin option intermittently removing comments from second and subsequent obs files

Lou Estey lou at unavco.org
Tue Jul 12 09:39:35 MDT 2016

All,

Neville sent me an email off-line from this list, setting me up with data files and
a script including comments describing the results.  I haven't run all the cases yet,
but enough to generally confirm what Neville is seeing (even with the latest teqc
version here at UNAVCO).  Neville also explained that even though the input files
(Trimble .tgd, in this case) are daily, he prefers using the '-tbin' approach for
creating the daily RINEX instead of a separate run for each daily input file because
the '-tbin' approach simplifies creating all the necessary RINEX files in one go --
an approach which I totally grok, since that's one of the main features of the '-tbin'
option.

It appears the crux the odd behaviour with the comments lines in the RINEX observation
files is when RINEX navigation messages are also being created with the '-tbin' option,
in other words, the desired comment lines are present (in the cases Neville found anyway)
when just the RINEX observations files are being created with '-tbin'.

Therefore, I think another solution which uses '-tbin' is merely to do two runs: one to
create the RINEX observation files and another to create the RINEX navigation files, e.g.:

teqc -tbin 1d <prefix> +obs + <input files>
teqc -tbin 1d <prefix> +nav +,+ <input files>

(And, if there was meteorological data involved, a third run to create the RINEX met files:
teqc -tbin 1d <prefix> +met + <input files> )

Now there's a chance I might be able to get to the bottom of this bug, but the approach
outlined above using current executables with '-tbin' is not too onerous.