[unav_all] Tragedy in Sumatra & South East Asia

Ruth E. Neilan ruth.neilan at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Dec 27 14:33:29 MST 2004

Dear colleagues,

While preparing to send a message for New Year, the tragic news of
the earthquake off the coast of Sumatra and devastating tsunami
affecting the entire region was received.

On behalf of the IGS, many thoughts and prayers to all of our
colleagues and their families and loved ones in these affected
regions.  Such a natural disaster touches each of us, and the scale
and extent of this is just unbelievable.  Many of us within the IGS
have worked in these countries and know people there  - Sumatra,
Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Thailand, India, Kenya, Somalia, and
the islands of Seychelles, Maruitius, Reunion.

While wishing each of you all the best in the coming New Year, keep
these people in your hearts  and minds -  many lives are changed
forever and it will take a globally concerted effort over a long time
to restore any semblance of normalcy.

It is with a heavy heart that I extend wishes for speedy recovery
from this disaster and  hopes for peace and prosperity in the New
Year.

sincere regards - Ruth  Neilan

cc: IGS Governing Board and Former Members

  International GPS Service - Central Bureau
        Jet Propulsion Laboratory
    tel: 818-354-8330, fax: 818-393-6686
          mobile: 626-975-1136
        <ruth.neilan at jpl.nasa.gov>