[unav_all] GPS-Galileo Agreement 26 June, US-EU Press Releases & Remarks

Ruth E. Neilan ruth.neilan at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jul 1 12:43:08 MDT 2004

Author: R. Neilan, IGS Central Bureau

Colleagues -
For your information included below are the official press releases,
respectively, of the US and EU with respect to the GPS -Galileo
accord.  The third inclusion below  contains the remarks from the
signing of the treaty last week in Ireland. Congratulations to the
negotiating teams for securing this important agreement!

kind regards - Ruth

[apologies for multiple postings]

GPS-Galileo Agreement

US press release:
http://www.useu.be/

U.S., EU Reach Agreement on Satellite Navigation Services  (2004-06-27)

  At the European Union Summit held June 26 in Ireland, the United
States and the European Union reached an agreement covering their
satellite navigation services, the U.S. Global Positioning System,
and Europe's planned Galileo system.

Following is the text of the White House fact sheet:

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary
(Shannon, Ireland)
For Immediate Release
June 26, 2004
FACT SHEET

U.S.-EU Summit: Agreement on GPS-Galileo Cooperation

Today, the United States and the European Union reached an agreement
covering their satellite navigation services, the U.S. Global
Positioning System, and Europe's planned Galileo system.

The U.S. Global Positioning System (GPS) is a constellation of 28
satellites and ground support facilities, used for a wide array of
economic, scientific, and military applications. The satellites
broadcast signals that can be converted into precise positioning and
timing information anywhere in the world. In 1998, the European Union
decided to pursue its own satellite navigation system, known as
Galileo, which currently is still in its development phase.

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, European Commission
Vice-President Loyola de Palacio, and Irish Foreign Minister Brian
Cowen signed the Agreement on the Promotion, Provision, and Use of
Galileo and GPS Satellite-Based Navigation Systems and Related
Applications. This historic agreement protects Allied security
interests, while paving the way for an eventual doubling of
satellites that will broadcast a common civil signal worldwide,
thereby promoting better and more comprehensive service for all users.

The agreement ensures that Galileo's signals will not harm the
navigation warfare capabilities of the United States and the North
Atlantic Treaty Organization military forces, ensures that both the
United States and the European Union can address individual and
mutual security concerns, and calls for non-discrimination and open
markets in terms of trade in civil satellite navigation-related goods
and services.

Recognizing the added benefit to civil and commercial users if the
two independent systems were compatible and interoperable, the United
States and the European Union have shared technical analyses and
information, resulting in an agreement to establish a common civil
signal. The additional availability, precision, and robustness that
will be provided by dual GPS-Galileo receivers lays the foundation
for a new generation of satellite-based applications and services,
promoting research, development, and investment that will benefit
business, science, governments, and recreational users alike.

EU Press Release (click on press release):
http://europa.eu.int/pol/trans/index_en.htm

IP/04/805
Brussels, 28 June 2004

GALILEO and GPS will navigate side by side: EU and US sign final agreement

The European Union and the United States concluded an agreement on
GALILEO and GPS at the end of the Summit held in Ireland on 26 June
2004.  The agreement on the promotion, provision and use of the two
satellite-based navigation systems and related applications that was
signed by Commission Vice-President Loyola de Palacio and US
Secretary of State Colin Powell, will allow each system to work
alongside the other without interfering with its counterpart's
signals and thus give a huge boost to users worldwide. Vice-President
Loyola de Palacio said: "This agreement will allow the European
project GALILEO to become the world standard for civil and commercial
use of satellite navigation; it will offer the best possible level of
services to all users".

After more than 4 years of intensive talks, the results for GALILEO,
and, more importantly, users of GALILEO and GPS worldwide, are highly
satisfactory.  The agreement confirms that GPS and GALILEO services
will be fully compatible and interoperable and therefore makes the
joint use of GPS and GALILEO and the manufacturing of equipment much
easier and cheaper.

GALILEO has now become the de facto world standard of open signals in
the GNSS mass market.  GALILEO will not need to rely on a
"GALILEO-only" user community; instead it will be instantly
accessible and used by millions of people who today use GPS. This
means that all users of satellite radio-navigation will be able to
simultaneously, with only one receiver, use one or the other of the
two systems, or both at the same time.

In addition of being the first civil system specifically dedicated to
civil users, the additional feature of GALILEO is its commercial
nature. The agreement with the United States does confirm the quick
introduction of GALILEO in all user segments (mass market and
professional) throughout the world. The market potential is indeed
considerable: 3 billion receivers and revenues of some ¤ 250 billion
per year by 2010 worldwide, and the creation of more than 150.000
high qualified jobs in Europe alone.

The agreement represents a major asset for the business case of the
future GALILEO operator expected to finance at least two-third of the
deployment of the system (¤ 1.4 billion), one-third being financed by
the public sector (¤ 700 million)* .  Such promising prospects will
intensify the current competition between the three pre-selected
consortia of companies which are running to get the concession to
operate the system.

Results of this competition which is run by, the Galileo Joint
Undertaking (the programme's management-arm), will be disclosed by
the Commission in October in view of a decision by the Council in
December to move to the successive phases of the programme and open
the way for the conclusion of the concession contract in 2005.

Finally, this agreement allows the last system specifications to be
set, a crucial aspect for the swift operation of GALILEO. After the
current development phase (2 satellites under construction will be
launched by the end of 2005 and 2 shortly after), the deployment of
the remaining 24 satellites (and related ground stations) is expected
by 2008, date at which the system should start operation.

For more information about GALILEO, please visit:
http://europa.eu.int/comm/dgs/energy_transport/galileo
http://www.esa.int/export/esaSA/navigation.html
http://www.galileoju.com

  *The total cost of Galileo amounts to ¤ 3.2 billion, respectively ¤
1.1 billion for the development phase (2002-2005), fully financed by
the public sector (half by ESA and half by the Commission) and 2.1
billion for the deployment phase (2006-2007), co-financed by the
private (the concession holder) and public sectors (the Commission).

Secretary of State Colin Powell hailed the new U.S.-EU agreement on
Global Positioning System (GPS)-Galileo cooperation as a "remarkable
achievement" at a signing ceremony June 26 in Shannon, Ireland,
during the U.S.-EU Summit.

The U.S. GPS system consists of satellites broadcasting signals that
can be converted into precise positioning and timing information
anywhere in the world. In 1998 the European Union decided to develop
its own satellite navigation system, which it called "Galileo."

The new agreement, Powell said, "manages to balance the competition
that is inherent in the commercial dimension of satellite
navigational technology with the cooperation necessary for the
security dimension."

Powell also noted that combined GPS-Galileo capabilities will open up
"major opportunities for scientific research and creative
engineering, enabling new applications, applications that we haven't
even begun to think of yet, and also for the development of new
technologies."

European Commission Vice President Loyola de Palacio and Irish
Foreign Minister Brian Cowen participated in the signing ceremony as
well.

Following is the State Department transcript:

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman
June 29, 2004

REMARKS

SECRETARY OF STATE COLIN L. POWELL
AT THE SIGNING OF THE GALILEO TREATY

June 26, 2004
Dromoland Castle
Shannon, Ireland

FOREIGN MINISTER COWEN: Good morning, everyone. Secretary of State,
Commissioner. I'm delighted to be here with the U.S. Secretary of
State Powell and Vice President de Palacio to sign a cooperation
agreement between the European and U.S. satellite navigation systems.

  The Galileo Program is a joint initiative of the European Commission
and the European Space Agency, and it's the first global satellite
positioning and navigation system designed specifically for civilian
use worldwide. It has been in development in the European Union since
1999, and in March of 2002 the European Council decided to complete
its development and to prepare for its commercial operation. Today's
agreement will allow rapid movement towards that goal. The Commission
has estimated that Galileo will create more than 150,000 jobs in
Europe alone. This is therefore a project of huge economic and
commercial significance and one which will set technological
standards globally over the next decade.

  One of the major messages of this summit has been the crucial nature
of our investment relationship and the need to deepen our cooperation
in areas of advanced technology. I can think of no better example of
this than the Galileo project and the agreement that we are signing
today. I would like invite Vice President de Palacio and Secretary
Powell to say a few words.

  EU VICE PRESIDENT DE PALACIO: Thank you, President. The Galileo GPS
agreement is good news for satellite navigation worldwide. And I must
say that this historic agreement, with this historic agreement we are
paving the way for the future of global satellite navigation, and I
want to thank all the team who have been working from the U.S. side
and from the EU side for the magnificent work they have done which
has facilitated this agreement which at the beginning was not the
easiest one to be achieved. But nevertheless, we managed, and this is
the most important question.

  I must say that with this agreement, we are going to set the rules
of the game for the GPS and Galileo for the coming decades, both
systems being fully interoperable, and they will set the world
standards in the market through the use of the same open signal. This
will allow all users to use in a complementary way both systems with
the same receiver. The benefits of satellite navigation will grow
significantly. The minister has said already the figures for
business. But we must say that we will double the number of
navigation satellites to provide a most efficient service to users
worldwide.

  This agreement was a fruitful exercise in transatlantic relations,
and today we are confirming our commitment to develop a key
technology which will bring significant opportunities for all our
common future, and so, once again, building together U.S.-EU,
EU-U.S., building for the future worldwide.

Thank you.

  SECRETARY POWELL: Thank you very much, Brian and Loyola.

  Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to be at this year's historic
U.S.-EU summit, the first since the EU's enlargement to 25 members.
On behalf of President Bush, I again congratulate Europe on this
major accomplishment with the completion of this current phase of
expansion.

  As you know, this also marks the 50th anniversary of formal U.S.-EU
relations. That relationship has been characterized by shared
principles, common interests and close cooperation. Our tradition of
cooperation continues today as I join European Commission Vice
President Loyola de Palacio and Irish Foreign Minister Brian Cowen as
signatories to the U.S.-EU agreement on GPS-Galileo cooperation.

  I, too, would like to thank everyone on both sides of the Atlantic
who worked so hard to conclude this agreement. As the Vice President
said a moment ago, it's been difficult work, but we never gave it up.
We stuck with it, and now we see the results of that hard labor.

  And particularly it was Vice President de Palacio's vision that set
Galileo firmly on its path to becoming a reality. She understood the
importance of protecting allied security interests and ensuring that
Galileo was compatible with the U.S. Global Positioning System. Her
efforts as well as those of the presidency and all the member states
have guaranteed a mutually beneficial relationship between our
respective satellite navigation services.

  Thanks to this agreement we will enhance the common benefits of
these new technologies. The agreement manages to balance the
competition that is inherent in the commercial dimension of satellite
navigational technology with the cooperation necessary for the
security dimension. This agreement also establishes a framework for
ongoing U.S.-EU cooperation in the field of satellite navigation.
GPS-Galileo capabilities will open up major opportunities for
scientific research and creative engineering, enabling new
applications, applications that we haven't even begun to think of
yet, and also for the development of new technologies. And the
agreement paves the way for the two systems to eventually broadcast a
common civil signal, which will double the number, as you heard a
moment ago, of satellites working within a compatible framework.
This, in turn, will ensure the safety and availability of satellite
navigation technology for transportation and recreational users
worldwide.

  I am one of those recreational users. I also have a security
interest in GPS technology. I have a GPS system in my Volvo, and I
also have used GPS systems in war. In the Gulf War some years ago, in
the early '90s, one of my retired general colleagues went on
television not knowing what the latest advances in technology were,
and said that he was terrified that the American army would go out
into the deserts of Kuwait and Iraq and immediately become lost
because there were no signposts, no mountains to look at, no places
by which one could steer, only to discover that nobody got lost
because we had gone out and purchased GPS systems for all of our
tanks, and so every soldier on the battlefield knew exactly where he
or she was at any particular point in time.

  We have seen such growth in this technology in the intervening years
so that it has become so cheap that anybody can have it, it has
become so reliable that it can be used increasingly for scientific,
commercial, recreational, every imaginable purpose. We use it for
agriculture, we use it to know when to put our crops in the ground
now because we can precisely know where to put crops in a particular
point of a farm or some cultivated area.

  We are just now beginning to scratch the capabilities of this
technology, and that's why it was so important that the U.S. and the
European Union come together and find a compatible way of moving
forward. We have found that way. I congratulate Loyola, I
congratulate Brian and through Brian all the member states of the
European Union for this remarkable achievement.

  Thank you.

  International GPS Service - Central Bureau
        Jet Propulsion Laboratory
    tel: 818-354-8330, fax: 818-393-6686
          mobile: 626-975-1136
        <ruth.neilan at jpl.nasa.gov>