[unav_all] UNAVCO Project Support

Chuck Meertens chuckm at unavco.org
Thu May 13 14:52:53 MDT 2004

Dear UNAVCO community,

The UNAVCO Facility is pleased to announce new expanded capabilities to
support your upcoming proposed projects. Thanks to grants for equipment
from the NSF Instruments and Facilities program and the EarthScope/PBO
MRE, the UNAVCO Facility will be able to provide several new levels of
project support, including longer-term installations using pool
equipment and Real-Time Kinematic (RTK) systems. The purpose of this
announcement is to inform users about new and up-coming resources of the
UNAVCO equipment pool. We also would like to request your feedback on
your anticipated requirements so we can better meet your future project
needs.

We foresee three styles of observations and a variety of equipment
configurations based on the amount of observation time needed to meet
the scientific goals and precision requirements of the experiment. The
general categories of equipment include:

1. Short-term (minutes to weeks) or "campaign" surveys: new low-power,
high memory campaign GPS receivers, antennas, batteries, tripods and
associated materials for campaign and RTK surveys.

   Potential applications: traditional campaign surveys or RTK surveys.

2. Intermediate-term (weeks to years) or "semi-permanent" stations:
self-contained systems including new low-power, high memory permanent
station GPS receivers, secure enclosures, solar panels, and optional
communications hardware.

Potential applications: high precision initial baseline measurements for
comparison with future surveys; precision velocity estimates for more
rapidly moving areas; longer term measurements in areas where
communications are not possible; measurement of time-dependent
deformation; and event response (e.g. earthquakes).

3. Long-term (years) or "permanent" stations: A number of older GPS
receivers are currently available for long-term installation at new
permanent stations.

Potential applications: highest possible precision surveys on high
quality geodetic monuments and measurements of time-dependent deformation.

To get assistance with project planning and budgeting as you prepare for
upcoming NSF EAR and PBO and NASA proposals, please contact us via our
On-line Project Support Request form at: http://www.unavco.org  (under
the UNAVCO Facility, Project Support link). You can also contact me or
our staff directly at anytime if you would like to discuss your project
or other UNAVCO issues. If we cannot accommodate your needs with
existing or anticipated Facility resources, we can work with you and
with funding Program Managers on the best strategies for purchasing new
equipment.

NSF Proposal Deadlines at: http://www.nsf.gov/home/deadline/geo.cfm

We look forward to hearing from you!

Chuck Meertens