[unav_all] Sumatra Earthquake

William Prescott prescott at unavco.org
Tue Jan 4 15:23:03 MST 2005

Subject: Sumatra Earthquake
To:      UNAVCO Community
From:    Will Prescott, Chuck Meertens, Steve Fisher, UNAVCO
Date:    4 January 2005

The recent earthquake in the Indian Ocean presents a not uncommon
paradox for earthquake scientists. We share the concern for the
victims. At the same time, these events provide rare opportunities to
learn something about the earth that might reduce the risk of such
events in the future.

Jeff Freymueller has contacted UNAVCO about the availability of
receivers for monitoring post-seismic effects from this event. UNAVCO
is ready to assist Jeff and any others in responding to this
earthquake.

However, the discussions between Jeff, and several people here at
UNAVCO, raised a broader issue. Would there would be some value in a
more coordinated response from all of those people interested in the
area?

To this end, I encourage those interested to let the rest of us know
about your current activities and future plans for work related to
the Sumatra event. This is an opportunity to begin thinking about a
more coordinated effort in this part of the world.

that people can use to exchange information related to the event. You
can subscribe to the list by visiting the page:

This invitation to share your plans and progress is open to anyone
interested in the event, including our colleagues in the affected
region.

We extend our sympathy to all of the people in the area who are
beginning the New Year with such terrible losses and problems.

Will Prescott
Chuck Meertens
Steve Fisher

William H. Prescott            Voice:  303-381-7514
President                      Fax:    303-381-7501
UNAVCO                         Cell:   303-579-1368
6350 Nautilus Drive            E-Mail: prescott at unavco.org
Boulder, CO 80301-5554         Web:    http://www.unavco.org

UNAVCO is university consortium funded by
the National Science Foundation and
the National Aeronautics and Space Administration