[unav_all] Strainmeter and Tiltmeter Data Short Course

Susan Eriksson eriksson at unavco.org
Tue Jun 14 15:04:48 MDT 2005

Dear Folks,
    I am writing to solicit interest in your attending a short course: "Working with Strainmeter and Tiltmeter Data: A Short Course for New Users.  After meager advertising through fall and spring AGU, the EarthScope meeting, and word-of-mouth, the upcoming July 13-15 workshop is near capacity.  I would like to plan for the future to see if we have enough interest to schedule a second workshop later this year.  The text of the email with logistics and outline of the course is listed below.

If you are interested in attending July 13-15 in Boulder, please let me know by Thursday, June 16 or by return email.  We have to finalize our logistics.  If you are interested in attending in some to-be-determined date later this year or next, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Susan Eriksson

Meeting Location

The meeting will be located at the UNAVCO Facility in Boulder, Colorado.

UNAVCO
6350 Nautilus Drive
Boulder,CO80301

Workshop Support

Participants will be responsible for your own travel costs. UNAVCO will provide lunch and
snacks on all three days and dinner on Wednesday evening prior to the evening program.
We have some limited funds to help with travel, particularly for students. Please contact
Susan Eriksson (eriksson at unavco.org) if you are student requesting a scholarship for
this course.

Travel Information

Travel arrangements are the responsibility of the individual registrant. However, Boulder
can be extremely busy in summer.

A block of rooms will be reserved for UNAVCO registrants at the Marriot Courtyard. We will make
your hotel reservations for you. Hotel confirmation numbers will be forwarded to you once
your reservations has been confirmed. Please contact Linda Laurens (laurens at unavco.org)
with the dates you will be in Boulder. If you are making your own housing arrangements,
please let Linda know.

For those who need to make travel arrangements , Tania Down is our point of contact
at the Boulder Travel Agency at 800-336-0380.

Agenda

Wednesday 13 July 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Morning
Welcome
Introduction to strainmeters and tiltmeters
Viewing/Editing raw strainmeter data
Power spectra and noise in strainmeter data
Afternoon
Earth tide theory
Tidal analysis
Evening
Update on Cascadia installations

Thursday 14 July 8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Morning
Data filtering
Coherence with effects such as air and fluid pressure
Afternoon
Calibration of three-component borehole strainmeters
Laser strainmeter correction series

Friday 15 July 8:00 am - noon

Morning
Effects of rainfall, snow loading, fluid pressure effects
PBO Strainmeter metadata
Final questions and discussion