[unav_all] In memory of Dan and Tony

William Prescott prescott at unavco.org
Fri Oct 7 07:41:00 MDT 2005

The UNAVCO Community suffered a terrible loss on Tuesday with deaths
of Dr. Dan Johnson and Dr. Tony Qamar in an accident on the Olympic
peninsula.  We at UNAVCO have worked closely with Dan and Tony on a
variety of projects for many years and will miss them as colleagues
and friends.  Their scientific accomplishments have inspired a
generation to explore new aspects of earth science and in many ways
paved the way for EarthScope and PBO.  Dan participated in some of
the pioneering GPS field campaigns almost 20 years ago. Tony was the
driving force behind the construction of the first permanent GPS
stations in the Pacific Northwest. More importantly, though, they
both showed through their spirit that science, field work, and
friendship are one and the same.

They were killed en route to retrieve GPS instruments that had been
deployed to measure the recently concluded ETS event, a project that
Dan designed and worked tirelessly on to this point with Tony's help.
UNAVCO will work to ensure that the project is completed in their
memory.

We extend our heartfelt sympathies to all who are grieving together
through this difficult time.