[unav_all] SSA Special Session

William Prescott prescott at unavco.org
Tue Dec 19 22:09:53 MST 2006

Dear Colleagues,

We'd like to call your attention to the following special session for
the 2007 Seismological Society of America annual meeting, April 11-13
in Kona, Hawaii.  Abstracts are due January 12, 2007.  More
information on the meeting can be found at:
http://www.seismosoc.org/meetings/2007/.

Sincerely yours,

Andrea Donnellan and Jeff Freymueller

Mechanisms for Postseismic Deformation Determined through
Observations and Modeling
Postseismic deformation, which may amount to a substantial amount of
an earthquake's coseismic displacement, occurs through a variety of
mechanisms. Important postseismic deformation mechanisms may include
fault afterslip, viscoelastic relaxation, or poroelastic rebound,
with timescales ranging from days to decades.  Postseismic processes
are likely non-linear and stress dependent rather than linear, as
typically assumed. Discriminating between the processes requires
precise, detailed measurements, in the timeframe near to the event
and for years to decades following the event. We invite contributions
showing postseismic observations on various timescales following
earthquakes, such as from GPS and InSAR, as well as models of
postseismic processes. Both observational and theoretical studies are
welcomed. Contributions showing measurement strategies and
requirements for revisit times are also encouraged.

Conveners
Andrea Donnellan
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
Mail Stop 300-331
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA 91109-8099
818-354-4737