[unav_all] NSF Job Opening - Division Director in the Division of Earth Sciences

prescott at unavco.org prescott at unavco.org
Mon Jan 9 13:08:21 MST 2006

Dear Colleague:

As you may have heard, Dr. Herman Zimmerman, Director, Division of
Earth Sciences will retire from NSF in February 2006.   The Division
of Earth Sciences  (EAR) supports research and education activities
that improve our understanding of processes that govern the behavior
and characteristics of the Earth's surface environment and determine
its internal structure, composition and dynamics.

Through its disciplinary research programs, its support for
facilities and instrumentation, its education programs, and its
technical and administrative staff the Division enables research and
support for the ideas, tools and people to understand our earth.
The Division also supports the construction and operation of a
multi-purpose geophysical instrument array (EARTHSCOPE) that will
make major advances in our knowledge and understanding of the
structure and dynamics of the North American continent.  This project
is funded from the Major Research Equipment and Facilities
Construction (MREFC) account. Information about the Division's
mission and programs is provided on its Home Page at
http://www.nsf.gov/div/index.jsp?div=EAR.

The Directorate for Geosciences is seeking your assistance in
identifying candidates for the position of Division Director in the
Division of Earth Sciences.  Employment for this Senior Executive
Service (SES) position may be on a temporary or permanent basis in
the Federal service.  Alternatively, the selectee may be assigned
under Intergovernmental Personnel Act (IPA) provisions.

We look forward to any help you may be able to offer in this search
for candidates with vision and outstanding leadership qualities
involving research and education in the earth sciences.  We are
especially interested in identifying women, members of minority
groups and persons with disabilities for consideration.

The vacancy announcements, which include information about
appointment options as well as the qualification requirements and
application procedures, can be accessed electronically at
http://www.nsf.gov/oirm/hrm/jobs/start.htm.  Mr. Hugh Sullivan
(703-292-8755) is the point of contact in the Division of Human
Resource Management (HRM).  Hearing impaired applicants may call
NSF's TDD line at 703-292-8044.  Dr. Bruce Malfait, Section Head for
the Marine Geosciences Section in the Division of Ocean Sciences, is
chairing the search committee and can be reached at 703-292-8581 (or
bmalfait at nsf.gov).  Application materials are due in NSF's HRM
Division by March 20, 2006.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this important endeavor.

Sincerely,

Margaret Leinen
Assistant Director