[unav_all] Fwd: [all-gi] PhD Grad Student Opportunity

Jeff Freymueller jfreymue at gi.alaska.edu
Wed Jun 14 15:54:56 MDT 2006

Although this grad student opportunity is not related to GPS
specifically, it would be wonderful if this could be posted in
departments nationwide. In addition, next year (fall 2007) I will be
looking to accept 1-2 new students at the Master's or Ph.D. level to
work on earthquake and tectonic problems in Alaska. I will be working
up a more specific description and posting it to my website this summer.

Jeff

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Shelly Wade" <swade at gi.alaska.edu>
> Date: June 14, 2006 1:45:24 PM AKDT
> To: "All GI" <all-gi at gi.alaska.edu>
> Subject: [all-gi] PhD Grad Student Opportunity
>
> Attn:  Please forward this information to any department, agency or
> person
> who you feel may be interested in pursuing this opportunity.
>

> Ph.D. Research Opportunity in Remote Sensing in Alaska
>

> The Geophysical Institute/University of Alaska-Fairbanks seeks a
> doctoral
> student to process and analyze satellite imagery and airborne
> geophysics
> data with the goal of interpreting and predicting the presence of
> near-surface features of engineering significance, such as ice-rich
> permafrost, potentially unstable slopes, and construction-materials
> resources.  This research will be in conjunction with the Alaska
> Division of
> Geological & Geophysical Surveys (ADGGS).  In preparation for a
> proposed gas
> pipeline in Alaska, ADGGS is conducting a detailed geologic study of a
> portion of the projected pipeline corridor.  As part of this study,
> airborne
> geophysics data were acquired of the project area.  The
> configuration of the
> data was designed to maximize information of the near-surface
> materials,
> such as the location of permafrost.  Innovative research utilizing
> geophysics, satellite imagery, geologic mapping, and limited
> borehole data
> is needed to develop and evaluate reliable predictive models for the
> presence of permafrost and other features.
>

> The successful applicant will have a strong background in geology and
> geophysics, and experience in remote sensing data processing and
> analysis.
> Familiarity with GIS, sub-arctic landscape processes, and geologic
> hazards
> are assets.  The student will be expected to participate in field work
> during the summer, which is often physically demanding.
>

> Applicants for the research position should send an e-mail
> containing a
> complete academic CV, a statement of research interests, English
> proficiency
> certification, and the name and contact information for three academic
> references to Dr. Anupma Prakash at prakash at gi.alaska.edu.  The
> position
> will begin no later than January 2007

Dr. Jeffrey T. Freymueller         Office: 907-474-7286
Geophysical Institute              Fax:    907-474-7290
University of Alaska, Fairbanks    Home:   907-479-3550
PO Box 757320                      Cell:   907-322-7632
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320           email: jeff at giseis.alaska.edu

Download Alaska GPS data: ftp://gps.alaska.edu/pub/gpsdata/