[unav_all] Termination of GPS Met Program

John Braun braunj at ucar.edu
Wed May 17 09:32:05 MDT 2006

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to call your attention to a development that I hope is
of interest to you.  The United States network of nearly 400 ground-
based GPS receivers (see link to map below) that is run by NOAA’s
Earth System Research Laboratory (ESRL) is in danger of being shut
down for lack of support totaling less than $1M. As you know, this
network produces real-time observations of precipitable water (PW,
the total amount of water vapor in a column) over the U.S.  These
data have been shown to be important in weather forecasting in
general, and severe weather forecasting in particular.  Given the
importance of these observations, I hope you will join me in signing
an open letter to Vice Admiral Lautenbacher to encourage NOAA to find
some way to continue support of this unique and valuable national
network (see link to draft letter below).  Please respond in a timely
way if you are interested in joining this effort, because we would
like to mail the letter next week.  Also feel free to pass this
message on to interested friends in the Atmospheric Sciences community.

Respectfully, Steven

Professor Steven Businger
Department of Meteorology
2525 Correa Rd.
University of Hawaii
Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
(808) 956-2569
(808) 956-2877 FAX
businger at hawaii.edu
http://weather.hawaii.edu

link to map of GPS sites:
ftp://ftp.soest.hawaii.edu/businger/outgoing/GPS-MetNetwork3-31-06.pdf

link to open letter to NOAA:
ftp://ftp.soest.hawaii.edu/businger/outgoing/OpenlettertoNOAA.pdf

link to PPT presentation (~8 MB file):
ftp://ftp.soest.hawaii.edu/businger/outgoing/StateofGPS-Met3.ppt