[unav_all] Fw: Antarctic Opportunity for Students

Susan Eriksson eriksson at unavco.org
Mon Apr 30 10:52:44 MDT 2007

Dear UNAVCO Community,
    I made a mistake!  The opportunity below is sponsored by NSF Office of Polar Programs and NSF Education and Human Resources, Division of Undergraduate Education and Division of Graduate Education as part of the IPY Education awards made in 2006.  GEO works closely with the Office of Polar Programs on these initiatives, but I got it wrong!

My apologies!
Susan

We have a new and exciting opportunity for university undergraduate students, graduate students, as well as teachers from minority-majority middle to high schools. Please pass this information on to your students or colleagues who might find this opportunity relevant.

Several faculty at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) have recently been funded by the National Science Foundation under an International Polar Year (IPY) grant for their education project: IPY-Research and Educational Opportunities in Antarctica for Minorities (IPY-ROAM). IPY-ROAM offers successful applicants a novel and life-changing opportunity to learn more about the Polar Regions and travel to Antarctica over the 2007-08 winter break where they will acquire first hand experience in field-based research and Antarctic system science. Applications are requested from 15 undergraduate students, 5 graduate students, and 5 high school teachers to participate in this program - IPY-ROAM.  Applicants must be from US institutions and can be interested in multiple disciplines, including terrestrial ecology, marine biology, geosciences, policy, education and outreach. A full description of the IPY-ROAM program, including application forms is available at www.ipyroam.org. Review of applications will begin on May 1st 2007.

Thank you for forwarding this information to relevant colleagues and potential IPY-ROAM applicants. Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Aaron

--

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->

Aaron A. Velasco

Associate Professor                                                   Phone: (915) 747-5101

Geological Sciences                                                     FAX: (915) 747-5073

University of Texas at El Paso                          email: velasco at geo.utep.edu

El Paso, TX 79968-0555                                                aavelasco at utep.edu

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->