[unav_all] GeoEarthScope LiDAR data release: Northern California

David A.Phillips phillips at unavco.org
Wed Dec 5 16:32:03 MST 2007

We are pleased to announce the public release of the first processed
products from the GeoEarthScope Northern California Airborne LiDAR
project!  More data will be coming in the next few months, along with
more advanced access and analysis tools.

The data are currently available as 1 km^2 tiles of 0.5 m digital
elevation models - both unfiltered (all data) and filtered (bare
earth) -  in ESRI (ArcGIS) binary grid format.  We have built a KML
file for use in Google Earth to browse the dataset extent, make
selections, and then download tiles of interest. To get the KML file,
please go to the GEON web site and get a portal account (just takes a
few minutes--http://www.geongrid.org--click on “Enter the GEON
Portal” link at right and then select “Request an Account”).  Once
you have obtained a portal account, log in and navigate to “Tools”
and then “GEON LiDAR”. Click on the “GeoEarthScope Northern
California LiDAR Project (NoCAL)” to download the KML. In addition,
soon we expect to have the point cloud available for download and
interactive DEM creation.

We have worked to make these data available as quickly as possible,
so if you encounter problems please let Ramon Arrowsmith
(ramon.arrowsmith at asu.edu) and Chris Crosby (chris.crosby at asu.edu)
know ASAP. Please also note that there is a forum in the GEON Portal
dedicated to the GEON LiDAR data distribution and we encourage
everyone to use it to post questions, ideas, solutions so that we can
all share our discoveries.

The GeoEarthScope Northern California LiDAR project acquired high
resolution airborne laser swath mapping (a.k.a. LiDAR) topography in
Spring 2007 along major active faults as part of the EarthScope
Facility project funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Between this project and the previously conducted B4 project, also
funded by NSF, the entire San Andreas fault system has now been
imaged with high resolution airborne LiDAR, along with many other
important geologic features. EarthScope is funded by NSF and
conducted in partnership with the USGS and NASA. GeoEarthScope is a
component of EarthScope that includes the acquisition of aerial and
satellite imagery and geochronology. GeoEarthScope is managed at UNAVCO.

Best regards,
David Phillips and the GeoEarthScope LiDAR team

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

Primary funding agency
	--National Science Foundation
Project management
	--UNAVCO
Other funding sources (for supplementary targets)
	--USGS Earthquake and National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Programs
	--San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
	--Pacific Gas & Electric Company
	--City of Berkeley
Data acquisition, processing and distribution
	--National Center for Airborne Laser Mapping (NCALM): LiDAR data
collection and processing
	--Ohio State University (OSU): GPS data collection and processing
	--USGS Menlo Park: extensive logistical and administrative support,
GPS data collection
	--Volunteers and students from local institutions: GPS collection
	--Arizona State University (ASU): data distribution and analysis tools
	--San Diego Super Computer Facility (SDSC): data distribution and
analysis tools

--
   David A. Phillips, Ph.D.
   GeoEarthScope Project Manager