[unav_all] ABAQUS session, AGU Spring meeting 2007

Jolante W. Van Wijk jolante at lanl.gov
Mon Jan 22 15:54:04 MST 2007

Dear Colleagues,

AGU's (American Geophysical Union) Spring Joint Assembly Meeting
will provide a timely and unique opportunity to meet with fellow researchers
who are using ABAQUS for Earth Science applications through a special
Earth and Space Science Informatics session titled
"ABAQUS in Geoscientific Applications".

We encourage you to submit an abstract to this session and join us for a
productive discussion about the application, issues, and concerns with
using ABAQUS for geomechanical modeling.

AGU Joint Assembly is held from May 22-25 in Acapulco, Mexico.
The deadline for receipt of abstracts is March 1 2007.
<http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07/?content=search&show=detail&sessid=334>http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja07/?content=search&show=detail&sessid=334

To help with the planning, we would like to create a tentative list of
interested attendees in the near future. Please send an email to one of
us if you are considering attending the Joint Assembly Meeting in
Acapulco and might be submitting an abstract.

We hope to see you in Acapulco in May!

Kind regards,

David Coblentz (coblentz at lanl.gov)
Jolante van Wijk (jolante at lanl.gov)

Description of session:

The number of researchers using the commercial finite element software
ABAQUS (SIMULIA / ABAQUS, Inc.) for solving geoscientific problems is
steadily growing and the range of applications now spans a broad
spectrum of the geosciences.  In this session, we seek to bring together
scientists from such diverse fields as postglacial surface motions,
fault zone and earthquake dynamics, crust-and lithosphere scale
deformation, and lithosphere-mantle interactions (subduction zones) to
discuss issues associated with using ABAQUS for geoscience research.
We anticipate a lively discussion on topics such as meshing methods,
rheological models, initial and boundary conditions, and faulting and
fracture mechanics.