[unav_all] Continental Collision (Special Session T26)

Chen, Wang-Ping wpchen at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 26 10:54:30 MDT 2007

Dear Colleagues:

We would like to encourage you to contribute abstracts for a special
session entitled "T26 Continental Collision: The Lithospheric Scale"
of the 2007 Fall AGU Meeting in San Francisco.

The deadline for electronic submission of abstracts is September 6th. More
information about the meeting appears in http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm07/

See you in San Francisco.

Best Regards,
Wang-Ping Chen

T26 Continental Collision: The Lithospheric Scale

This session emphasizes studies that take a holistic view of
continental collision zones, aiming to understand the coupling
between processes near the surface and deep-seated dynamics in the
mantle. Over the past decade, a number of case studies, both
observational and theoretical/computational, demonstrated that
integrative approaches hold the best promise to comprehend the
diffuse, complex nature of continental collision over the entire
thickness of the lithosphere -- a last frontier in the aftermath of
plate tectonics. Based on past studies, we anticipate contributions
to include topics such as coupling of deformation near the surface
and that of the lithospheric mantle, spatio-temporal evolution of
magmatism and its relationship with tectonics, growth and fall (in
height and/or area) of plateaus, rheology, and convective instability
of the lithospheric mantle. We also welcome emerging topics such as
deep structures of the mantle beneath collisions zones, palinspastic
reconstructions of the lithospheric mantle, and recent results from
large-scale, multi-disciplinary experiments along active collision zones.

Conveners:
Wang-Ping Chen, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Sun-Lin Chung, National Taiwan University
Robert L. Nowack, Purdue University
Bor-Shouh Huang, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, R.O.C.