[unav_all] AGU: Stress in the Lithosphere

Noah Fay nfay at email.arizona.edu
Tue Sep 4 10:08:07 MDT 2007

Dear Colleagues,
Please consider submitting an abstract to the following session at
AGU this December.   We look forward to stimulating presentations and
discussion.
This session is sponsored by Tectonophysics, Seismology, Mineral and
Rock Physics and Geodesy.
Thank you,
Noah Fay and Lucy Flesch

Session T23
Stress in the lithosphere:  Top-down or bottom-up control?
This session highlights new constraints on the origin, distribution
and magnitude of stress in the lithosphere.  It is clear that
deviatoric stress and its sources can differ dramatically from one
tectonic environment to another and we wish to better determine both
the origin and rheologic controls on these stresses driving
deformation of the continents.  We especially encourage presentations
that address the relative strengths of the crust and lithospheric
mantle and thereby the role of each in controlling the rate and style
of lithospheric deformation.  Contributions from theoretical,
observational, and modeling studies are all welcomed, in particular
those that use multiple complementary data sets.

Noah Fay
Research Associate
Department of Geosciences
University of Arizona