[unav_all] New GeoEarthScope Northern California LiDAR data released

David A. Phillips phillips at unavco.org
Tue Feb 19 14:47:42 MST 2008

We are pleased to announce the next public release of processed
products from the GeoEarthScope Northern California Airborne LiDAR
project!  This release represents a substantial portion of the
Northern California dataset.  More data will be coming in the next
few months, along with more advanced access and analysis tools.

The data are currently available as 1 km^2 tiles of 0.5 m digital
elevation models - both unfiltered (all data) and filtered (bare
earth) -  in ESRI (ArcGIS) binary grid format.

There are now two ways to select the tiles: 1) We have built a new
GoogleMaps-based interface accessible in the GEON Portal (see below),
and 2) We have updated the KML for use in Google Earth (if you
downloaded the first version, now is time to go back and get version
2.0). Both approaches allow users to browse the dataset extent, make
selections, and then download tiles of interest. To get to the
GoogleMaps or download the KML file, please go to the GEON web site
and get a portal account (just takes a few minutes--http://
www.geongrid.org--click on "Enter the GEON Portal" link at right and
then select "Request an Account").  Once you have obtained a portal
account, log in and navigate to "Tools" and then "GEON LiDAR". Choose
the GeoEarthScope Northern California LiDAR Project (NoCAL). You will
see the GoogleMaps interface. Zoom and navigate to the areas of
interest and click on the tile of interest. Or, below the GoogleMap,
you can download the KML. In addition, soon we expect to have the
point cloud available for download and interactive DEM creation.

We have worked to make these data available as quickly as possible,
so if you encounter problems please let Chris Crosby
(chris.crosby at asu.edu) and Ramon Arrowsmith
(ramon.arrowsmith at asu.edu) know ASAP. Please also note that there is
a forum in the GEON Portal dedicated to the GEON LiDAR data
distribution and we encourage everyone to use it to post questions,
ideas, solutions so that we can all share our discoveries.

The GeoEarthScope Northern California LiDAR project acquired high
resolution airborne laser swath mapping (a.k.a. LiDAR) topography
data in Spring 2007 along major active faults as part of the
EarthScope Facility project funded by the National Science Foundation
(NSF). Between this project and the previously conducted B4 project,
also funded by NSF, the entire San Andreas fault system has now been
imaged with high resolution airborne LiDAR, along with many other
important geologic features. EarthScope is funded by NSF and
conducted in partnership with the USGS and NASA. GeoEarthScope is a
component of EarthScope that includes the acquisition of aerial and
satellite imagery and geochronology. GeoEarthScope is managed at UNAVCO.

Best regards,
David Phillips and the GeoEarthScope LiDAR team

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

Primary funding agency
         --National Science Foundation
Project management
         --UNAVCO
Other funding sources (for supplementary targets)
         --USGS Earthquake and National Cooperative Geologic Mapping
Programs
         --San Francisco Public Utilities Commission
         --Pacific Gas & Electric Company
         --City of Berkeley
Data acquisition, processing and distribution
         --National Center for Airborne Laser Mapping (NCALM): LiDAR
data collection and processing
         --Ohio State University (OSU): GPS data collection and
processing
         --USGS Menlo Park: extensive logistical and administrative
support, GPS data collection
         --Volunteers and students from local institutions: GPS
collection
         --Arizona State University (ASU): data distribution and
analysis tools
         --San Diego Super Computer Facility (SDSC): data
distribution and analysis tools

--
   David A. Phillips, Ph.D.
   GeoEarthScope Project Manager