[unav_all] February 4, 2008 - UNAVCO Science Meeting Deadline extended

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Mon Jan 28 15:38:42 MST 2008

UNAVCO Community Members,

As most of you know, I started here in Boulder early in January.  It
has been an exciting month, as I have worked with the board on your
behalf as a science community, and become immersed in the activities
of the Facility, PBO, and Education and Outreach.   Last week we
visited NSF, and spent Thursday with Earth Sciences program managers.
On Friday, as part of a UNAVCO Board meeting, we briefed NASA and NSF
Earth Science, Polar Programs, and GeoScience program managers on
community activities and UNAVCO services.

The bi-annual UNAVCO Science Meeting is coming right up (March 11 –
13, 2008; Boulder, Co, with related activities and an optional Eldora
ski day on Monday March 10). I am writing to urge you to register and
submit your abstracts.  The program includes plenary sessions on Polar
Science, Geodetic Monitoring of Natural Hazards, Seismic-Cycle
Geodesy, and Magmatic Systems. Roger Bilham, University of Colorado,
will present the featured keynote.  The program also includes
opportunities to meet as Special Interest Groups, some of which will
grow out of the plenary session themes, with others on a broader
spectrum of topics.  The priorities and planning that emerge from
these groups will shape UNAVCO’s 2008 strategic plan.

We have been challenged by our sponsors to diversify our science
community and resource streams, while building the legacy of solid
earth and cryospheric sciences. Please come participate in the
meeting.   We want to hear about your projects and progress.

Revised deadline for registration and abstracts:            Monday,
February 4, 2008
Hotel reservation
deadline:                                                Monday,
February 11, 2008

To view the workshop, register, or submit an abstract, please go to:
http://www.unavco.org/community/announce_meetings/2008/sciworkshop08/sciworkshop08.html

Please also note  that there is support for students and postdocs that
we would like to see fully utilized.

I hope to see you in Boulder in March!

Meghan Miller

meghan at unavco.org