[unav_all] August 31 - comments requested - UNAVCO strategic plan

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Wed Jul 9 15:27:39 MDT 2008

UNAVCO community members,

I am writing to seek your comment on a draft of a five-year strategic
plan for UNAVCO, by August 31, 2008.

Our sponsors have challenged us to diversify both the scientific
community that UNAVCO represents, and the revenue streams that sustain
its support services and facilities, through a strategic planning
process.  In response, the board and I worked together to establish a
planning committee to attend a facilitated retreat and develop a draft
plan that included mission, vision, and goals.  The committee was
large the breadth of the membership and the participatory governance
of UNAVCO.  The factors that were considered in populating the
committee are summarized at the end of this message, if they are of
interest to you.
The draft plan attached to this email represents the work of that
committee at the retreat, as well as further development of specific
aspects by e-mail and board discussion.  In addition to seeking your
comment, I will be discussing the draft with our main sponsors and
with UNAVCO staff.

You can convey your comments to me via email, or call me if you prefer
to discuss aspects of the plan.  I will assemble all the written
feedback into a single document for consideration by the board.  All
comments and feedback will be carefully considered.

Best,

meghan at unavco.org

Committee members were selected using these criteria:

             -The scientific community should be broadly represented,
across historically strong and newly emerging sub-disciplines that use
the tools of geodesy.

             -The governance of UNAVCO as a membership organization
and the leadership of UNAVCO's facilities and programs should be well
represented to assure implementation of the plan.  This meant that
chairs or long standing members of each standing committee were
invited to participate, as well as the program directors from Boulder.

             -We paid special attention to representation from
emergent areas - such as atmospheric science as a discipline area and
INSAR as a tool of geodesy that UNAVCO now supports - to expand our
ability to envision the future.

             -We also paid attention to the spectrum of community
experience at the table - to include members with long experience and
those who bring new perspectives.

             -Some other considerations were taken into account, such
as maximizing the number of member institutions represented.

             -Twenty participants was a maximum.  Most committee
members wore several hats; all were asked to act on behalf of broader
communities and think beyond their specific interests, knowing that
some perspectives will only be heard through the community comment we
are currently seeking.

  Committee Members:
Sridhar Anandakrishnan
Geoff Blewitt