[unav_all] SAFOD operations and maintenance

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Fri Oct 31 13:00:17 MDT 2008

UNAVCO Community,

I am writing to tell you of a change in the plan for Operations and
Maintenance for the EarthScope Program.

Earlier this year, the SAFOD leadership approached NSF and the
EarthScope Management Team (EMT) with a proposal that Stanford
University withdraw from the O&M phase of SAFOD, and a request to
develop an alternate plan for operations and maintenance.  Because of
the timing (after review of the EarthScope O&M proposal was complete)
it was not possible to add new institutions to the EarthScope O&M
award in a PI role.  The SAFOD leadership was asked to prepare an
alternate plan given this constraint.

After consultation, SAFOD recommended that UNAVCO (1) manage the
subcontractors carrying out the SAFOD O&M activities, (2) provide an
organizational home for a SAFOD Advisory Committee, and (3)  manage
the plan for drill string instrument replacement, now scheduled for
2013.

After review by the EMT and approval by the UNAVCO Board, NSF accepted
this recommendation and directed the O&M award for SAFOD subcontractor
tasking and management to UNAVCO.   There is no change in the fiscal
constraints or scope of activities due to this transition.  The timing
of the drill string replacement schedule continues to be budget
constrained.  Any plans for new EarthScope instruments, technology
development, or enhanced monitoring would need to come forward in a
new proposal.

We express our great thanks to the SAFOD team for their exceptional
efforts under the MREFC phase of EarthScope.  I am particularly
grateful to the EMT and to NSF for ensuring a smooth transition to
EarthScope O&M.  We look forward to working with the SAFOD community
on this project.

Regards,

meghan at unavco.org