[unav_all] Updating short-term tectonics working group priorities & workshop

Andy Freed freed at purdue.edu
Thu Apr 23 09:00:21 MDT 2009

To the Short-Term Tectonics Community,
Computational Infrastructure for Geodynamics (CIG) is a membership-
governed organization that supports and promotes Earth science by
developing and maintaining software for computational geophysics and
related fields (http://www.geodynamics.org/). CIG is in the process of
preparing a proposal for NSF for a new 5 year funding cycle, and
several weeks ago hosted a workshop on Opportunities and Challenges in
Computational Geophysics to update and formulate new short- and long-
term goals. Several members from the short-term tectonics community
participated and worked to update our community's list of goals on the
CIG website (http://www.geodynamics.org/cig/workinggroups/short/workarea/planning/priorities2009/plans2009/
). I encourage anyone who has an interest in community numerical tools
for short-term tectonics to take a few minutes to read this summary
and provide feedback (there is a comment button at the bottom of the
summary). Your comments will help in preparing the proposal for
ongoing support of CIG. In late May or early June a draft of the
proposal to NSF for continued funding of CIG will be available and the
entire community will be invited to comment.
I also wish to remind the community of the upcoming 2009 Workshop on
Numerical Modeling of Crustal Deformation and Earthquake Faulting,
June 22-26, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO.  The workshop will
blend science talks on case studies from particular faulting
environments and on key rheological behavior with discussions of
current obstacles to crustal deformation modeling. Another goal of
this workshop is to provide basic training in the installation, use,
and customization of existing, freely available modeling software for
crustal deformation. There will be dedicated time throughout the
workshop for hands-on interaction with other users and developers of
the primary existing tools.  Registration: http://geodynamics.org/cig/workinggroups/short/workshops/nmcdef-09/nmcdef09-register
Best Regards,
Andy

______________________________