[unav_all] AGU session G14: Geodetic studies of strike-slip fault systems

Gareth Funning gareth at ucr.edu
Thu Aug 13 17:08:55 MDT 2009

[Apologies for cross-postings; although if you receive this more than
once your research interests must be closely aligned with the
conveners'...]

We seek your contributions to the forthcoming AGU Fall Meeting Geodesy
session G14: "Geodetic Studies of Strike-Slip Fault Systems: Results
in Light of EarthScope". The session is aimed at studies that use GPS,
InSAR and other geodetic techniques to study and model the deformation
caused by strike-slip faults at all stages of the earthquake cycle. We
are interested in strike-slip faults worldwide; contributions that
utilise data generated by the EarthScope project are particularly
encouraged.

The full session description is included below. We look forward to
reading your abstracts!

Ingrid Johanson
Berkeley Seismological Laboratory
ingrid at seismo.berkeley.edu

Gareth Funning
University of California, Riverside
gareth at ucr.edu

Jessica Murray-Moraleda
U.S. Geological Survey
jrmurray at usgs.gov

Full description:

The San Andreas fault (SAF) system is a complex network of faults
exhibiting a variety of behaviors. With EarthScope's Plate Boundary
Observatory and the imagery available through GeoEarthScope, we are in
a better position than ever to study the SAF system and especially the
contributions of its lower slip-rate members. Although EarthScope is
based in the United States, its science goals have a global scope and
will benefit from a global perspective. Accordingly, we seek to bring
together results from geodetic studies of strike-slip fault systems
worldwide.

The session will cover interseismic fault processes and deep fault
structure and rheology in strike-slip fault systems, with an emphasis
on how dense instrument networks or observation datasets (like
EarthScope's) contribute to our understanding. This includes
system-scale problems, such as fault interaction, and local-scale
studies of slip processes on individual faults. EarthScope has also
increased the availability of continuous GPS and strainmeter data,
allowing for better characterization of the 4-D nature of fault
systems. Studies of time-variable deformation and those making use of
time series information from GPS, InSAR and/or strainmeters are
encouraged.

Other topics of interest include: the role of aseismic slip in
earthquake hazard, applications of strainmeter and creepmeter data to
strike-slip deformation, methodologies for distinguishing
long-wavelength tectonic signals from orbital errors in InSAR data,
and coseismic and postseismic deformation within the context of
long-term fault properties or the total earthquake cycle.