[unav_all] Tuesday @ AGU - new location - UNAVCO Annual Meeting

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Wed Dec 2 10:23:38 MST 2009

UNAVCO Community members,

I am writing to let you know that the UNAVCO Annual Meeting will be in
Moscone Center this year.  Please mark your AGU calendar:

New Location: Moscone Center, South Building, East Mezzanine Level,
Room 228
Date: Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Time: 7:30 p.m.  [Following the AGU Geodesy Section Reception, 6:30
p.m. - Moscone 220]

All community members are cordially invited to participate in the
business meeting, which follows the AGU Geodesy Section Reception.  At
the meeting, we will seek your feedback on the Long Range Science Plan
for Geodesy, hear about advances within UNAVCO over the last year, and
learn the results of the election.

UNAVCO has had a very exciting year, with implementation of the 2008
Strategic Plan "Positioning UNAVCO:  Advancing Science through
Geodesy".  Building on the goals and strategies within that plan, we
have undertaken a major reorganization of business services, now
called Program Support Services, to ensure efficient and effective
support to the UNAVCO programs who directly serve the science
community.  In addition to supporting dozens of proposals by community
members, UNAVCO has led or partnered on more than 40 formal proposal
submissions this year, and has secured funding from a diversified set
of NSF, NASA, and USGS programs.  The UNAVCO Facility has continued to
support community investigators around the world, including major
advances in geodesy infrastructure in both Polar regions.   We have
become the NSF Facility for Terrestrial Laser Scanner (TLS)
instrumentation, and are acquiring a community TLS equipment pool with
engineering and data processing support. The transition to EarthScope
Operations and Maintenance is now complete, and the PBO Program
oversees both Plate Boundary Observatory and the San Andreas Fault
Observatory at Depth.  With ARRA funding, 232 PBO stations in Cascadia
will be upgraded to high rate, real time data streaming.  In addition
to another successful year for UNAVCO Short Courses, support for a
second generation RESESS (Research Experience in Solid Earth Science
for Students) internship program was secured. In October, the Geodesy
community came together to define a Long Term Science Plan for Geodesy
– a plan that is currently being drafted.  Other workshops throughout
the year have supported planning and coordination for research and
education.

I will update you in a little more detail about some of these
initiatives in advance of AGU so that you can come learn more at the
UNAVCO Booth.

I look forward to seeing you in San Francisco!

Best,

meghan at unavco.org

Save the date:	March 9 - 11, 2010
UNAVCO Science Workshop