[unav_all] GNSS Session (G12) at the 2009 Fall AGU: Call for Abstracts

Yoaz Bar-Sever Yoaz.Bar-Sever at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 28 18:29:42 MDT 2009

We are inviting contributions from the GNSS research community to
Session G12 of the 2009 Fall AGU meeting in San Francisco. The
Session Description follows.

The deadline for Abstracts is September 3. To submit an Abstract
please go to http://agu-fm09.abstractcentral.com/index.jsp

Kind regards,

Session G12 Conveners:
Yoaz Bar-Sever, JPL (Yoaz.Bar-Sever at jpl.nasa.gov)
Tim Springer, ESA (Tim.Springer at esa.int)

G12: Challenges and Opportunities in Combining Multiple GNSS Observations

The availability of modernized GPS, a revitalized GLONASS, and the
upcoming Compass and Galileo will offer many challenges but also
exciting opportunities in the next decade. Mixing different GNSS
today brings about significant complications like intersystem biases
and because of different modulations, e.g. CDMA for GPS versus FDMA
for GLONASS, also frequency dependent biases. The addition of new
signals on existing frequencies as well as additional frequencies
will further complicate matters. Today we are already suffering
issues with this with GPS alone. The new available civil code
measurements on the L2 frequency has lead to an inhomogeneous set of
observations from different receivers. Some receivers now deliver
only C1 and C2 whereas others provide only P1 and P2. The combination
of observations of such receivers is problematic because of the
biases present in each of these observations. Thinking about the
future with Galileo offering 5 different measurement types on E1, 9
different measurement types on E5, and 5 different measurement types
on E6 (see RINEX 3.00) the myriad of different observation
combinations and biases becomes mind-boggling! And things get even
more complicated if we think about GLONASS moving from FDMA to CDMA
and the new Compass system. Despite all these challenges we are
convinced that the new and improved signals, as well as the new and
additional satellites in different orbit configurations do present
some very exciting opportunities. This is especially true considering
that the planned GNSS systems promise to increase the number of
satellites by a factor of 4 and to improve the accuracy of the (code)
measurements by a factor of 10 (from 1 to 0.1 meters). With this
session we would like to invite presentations addressing not only the
challenges but also presentations highlighting the opportunities
offered by the new signals and systems. We therefore would appreciate
contributions which focus on ensuring that we will in fact be able to
combine the observations from all different systems observed by many
different receivers. Here contributions from the hard- and soft-ware
receiver side are especially welcome. Furthermore we solicit
contributions focusing on the scientific opportunities offered by
true GNSS solutions, e.g. GPS + GLONASS, COMPASS, and/or Galileo,
both today as well as in the (near) future.