[unav_all] Spring AGU special session

Jaime Magliocca magliocca at unavco.org
Mon Mar 2 13:42:45 MST 2009

Dear Colleagues:

We would like to bring your attention to a Geodesy session at the AGU Joint
Assembly taking place in May 2009 in Toronto, Canada.

G05: 	High-Rate and Low-Latency Data for Earth Science Applications

http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja09/program/scientific_session_search.php?show=
detail&sessid=227

The abstract deadline is 4 March 2009.   We invite you to submit your
proposal and please pass this message on to your colleagues.

Sincerely,

Mike Jackson and Mark Caissay

G05: 	High-Rate and Low-Latency Data for Earth Science Applications

Real-time delivery of multi-sensor data is increasingly the standard for
scientific networks across many disciplines. This is particularly true for
socially important Earth science applications such as earthquake early
warning and rapid finite-fault earthquake source models; tsunami and volcano
warning; flood warning and hydrologic modeling; improved short-term weather
models; landslides, debris flows, and other problems in geomorphology;
global environmental change monitoring; and space and atmospheric physics.
As a result, it is increasingly common for terrestrial networks, Earth
observing satellite missions, and now even submarine observatories to
provide low-latency data products, despite significant technical challenges
and restricted funding environments. We intend this session to bring
together network and data managers, technologists, and researchers with an
interest in low-latency data across the Earth sciences. We particularly
welcome those presentations that define scientific needs or new solutions
that can foster further growth in this exciting area.

Michael E. Jackson, Ph.D
Director, Plate Boundary Observatory
UNAVCO, Inc.
6350 Nautilus Dr.
Boulder, CO 80301
303 381 7554 (wk)
303 888 0718 (cell)
jackson at unavco.org

The Plate Boundary Observatory is the geodetic component of EarthScope,
operated by UNAVCO and funded by the National Science Foundation.