[unav_all] UNAVCO Community MRI process for MRI-R2 - Ideas by June 1, 2009

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Fri May 15 14:32:32 MDT 2009

UNAVCO Community,

The anticipated MRI - Recovery and Reinvestment funding has now been
announced.  For this proposal call only, special provisions apply
including modifications to the match requirement and the opportunity
to fund a small number of projects up to $6M.  The NSF deadline for
proposals is August 10, 2009, and some of you have expressed interest
in UNAVCO collaboration or support.  If you are considering using
UNAVCO resources, by June 1, 2009 we would like to receive the
information needed to prioritize proposals.

Program announcement:
http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2009/nsf09561/nsf09561.htm?govDel=USNSF_25

Ways to collaborate with UNAVCO for this proposal call:
1.  Submission of an MRI - Instrument Development proposal with UNAVCO
work included as less than 20% of the total budget in the form of a
subaward.  In such a case, UNAVCO participation would not count
against UNAVCO's organizational limit of 3.  UNAVCO is unlikely to be
able to contribute to any cost share requirement.  For such a project,
support can be requested through the web page at http://facility.unavco.org/project_support/project_support.html
.

2.  UNAVCO submission of an MRI proposal on behalf of or in
collaboration with member institutions.  Because UNAVCO is subject to
the cost share requirement, and yet has only negligible non-federal
sources for matching funds, this approach requires a plan to meet the
30% cost share requirement.

Please note that universities may contribute to meeting UNAVCO's cost
share without counting the UNAVCO submission against the university's
organizational limit, as long as the university is not receiving an
award or subaward.

If you are interested in advancing a proposal through UNAVCO, the
board would like to review the following:

1.  Preliminary project summary with science goals, with intellectual
merit and broader impacts.
2.  Draft project budget
3.  A short memorandum that addresses these questions (approximately 1
page):
	A.  How does the project align with UNAVCO's mission and goals?
	B.  How will the proposed project serve the UNAVCO Community?   http://www.unavco.org/pubs_reports/strategic_plan/strategic-plan.html
	C.  What is the plan/commitment to meet the match requirement?
	D.  How mature is the concept?  Is the project feasible?
	E.  What NSF program will the project serve (EAR, OPP, ATM, etc….)?

Please forward your ideas for a UNAVCO community MRI proposal to me by
June 1, 2009 so that they can be reviewed by the board.

This is a complex program announcement from NSF.  If you have any
questions, please call me so that we can talk about the best way to
move projects forward.

Thank you,

meghan at unavco.org