[unav_all] 2010 UNAVCO Science Meeting

Eric Calais ecalais at purdue.edu
Thu Oct 22 23:38:42 MDT 2009

Dear Colleagues:

Please mark your calendars for the coming UNAVCO Science Meeting, to
be held March 8-11, 2010, in Boulder, Colorado. In planning this
meeting, the organizing committee has intentionally designed the
program to showcase scientific advances and opportunities both in the
core areas of the UNAVCO community and in some exciting but
traditionally less represented fields such as geomorphology, water,
and climate change. This meeting focus aligns with the vision
articulated in UNAVCO's 2008 Strategic Plan: Advancing Geoscience
through Geodesy:

"We challenge ourselves to transform human understanding of the
changing Earth by enabling the integration of innovative technologies,
open geodetic observations, and research, from pole to pole."

Many of you will recognize the broad organization and core science
themes, although there will be some things that we do a little
differently for 2010:

·       The workshop will be held at the Millennium Hotel in Boulder,
a property that continues to provide a well-suited and convenient
venue with pricing that allows us to maximize supported attendance of
both students and professionals.

·       Registration and reception activities Monday evening will lead
off, and may cap an informally organized ski day if there is
sufficient interest.

·       Technical sessions will take place on Tuesday, Wednesday
morning, and Thursday. They will consist of four plenary sessions,
informal Special Topics Sessions (STS), and posters.

·       A special, distinguished, plenary lecture by Bernard Minster
will provide us with a historical perspective on space geodesy and its
applications to geophysics, from the early days to the latest NRC study.

·       This technical program will be complemented by a choice of
Wednesday afternoon activities:  a tour of the UNAVCO Facility, or for
the adventurous, this year's field trip that will be led by Bob
Anderson (CU) and will focus on shaping of the Front Range by climate
forces, relying on the integration of geomorphology, cosmogenic
dating, and GPS constraints.

The four plenary sessions will be organized around the following
crosscutting themes:

·       Toward a pixel-by-pixel view of Earth's surface changes

·       Expanding the temporal range of high precision GPS observations

·       Opportunities posed by advances in geodesy

·       Geodesy and water in a changing climate

Scheduled time for informal Special Topics Sessions (STS) will
alternate with plenary sessions. Smaller groups can breakout over
scientific or technical issues and initiatives.  Informal lunch
meetings on focused topics may also be arranged.

And of course, there will be poster sessions throughout the meeting.
Participants are encouraged to contribute a poster on the topics of
the plenary sessions or on any other topic.

We are excited about this format and are writing to solicit your
thoughts for the technical sessions:

·       Please send suggestions for STS sessions, with the name of the
convener (or conveners), a few sentences describing its topic, and, if
possible, a rough estimate of the number of attendees expected.
Depending on the response, we may need to limit the addition of STSs
closer to the time of the meeting to those on late - breaking topics.

·       Please send nominations for plenary session speakers. As with
the last meeting, we are especially eager to have a speaker in every
plenary session whose primary topic is Education and Outreach, and we
especially welcome suggestions for early- to mid-career speakers.

We would like to gather your suggestions no later than November 6,
2009, so that we can move forward with planning the meeting.  Please
email them to Jaime Magliocca (magliocca at unavco.org) and she will
forward them to the organizing committee.

We will look forward to seeing you at the 2010 UNAVCO Science Meeting!

Organizing Committee:

Eric Calais, Purdue University, Chair

Ramon Arrowsmith, Arizona State University

Susan Schwartz, UC Santa Cruz, Board Liaison

Meghan Miller, UNAVCO President

Eric Calais, Professor                                         Voice:
(765) 496-2915
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences           Fax: (765) 496-1210
Purdue University                                                ecalais at purdue.edu
West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA                         http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ecalais