[unav_all] DOGEx: Detection of Offsets in GPS timeseries Experiment update

Matt King m.a.king at newcastle.ac.uk
Tue Aug 3 14:15:04 MDT 2010

Author: Matt King and Simon Williams

This email is an update on the previously announced community experiment DOGEx. A number of groups are now working on the dataset and we showed results from a few techniques at the IGS workshop in Newcastle (see http://www.ceg.ncl.ac.uk/igs2010/presentations.htm).

We are planning on updating the community on the success (or otherwise!) of various offset detection techniques at the AGU Fall Meeting in December 2010 (see session G13). If you would like to contribute a solution to be included in the analysis for that presentation, please download the dataset and provide a solution *in the specified format* by Friday November 12. See the information at the bottom of this email.

** Please also note, we are now welcoming in a separate category *non-automated* solutions of the same dataset - that is, ones performed by an expert user.

DOGEx is designed to test automated offset detection algorithms and expert users against a known truth in the presence of realistic GPS timeseries signal, noise, offset frequency and gaps. DOGEx is a one-way blind experiment in that the actual offset times and magnitudes are not released with the site timeseries. The data set we supply is a simulated time series of daily NEU coordinates and the formal errors for 50 "sites".

The experiment is being run jointly by Matt King (Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK; m.a.king at ncl.ac.uk) and Simon Williams (National Oceanography Centre, Liverpool, UK; sdwil at pol.ac.uk).

The data set and further information may be found at
http://www.cost-es0701.gcparks.com/working-groups/working-group-3

We look forward to hearing from you with solutions! Please circulate this email to other interested colleagues.

Matt King
Reader in Polar Geodesy & RCUK Academic Fellow
School of Civil Engineering and Geosciences  Email: m.a.king at ncl.ac.uk
Cassie Building            Ph:    0191 222 7833 Int: + 44 191 222 7833
Newcastle University       Fax:   0191 222 6502 Int: + 44 191 222 6502
Newcastle upon Tyne        Web:   http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/m.a.king/
United Kingdom, NE1 7RU           http://www.ceg.ncl.ac.uk/profiles2/m.a.king