[unav_all] Kinematic GPS Challenge

Andria Bilich Andria.Bilich at noaa.gov
Tue Aug 17 13:35:06 MDT 2010

Author: Gerry Mader

_*Call for Participation - Kinematic GPS Challenge*_

The National Geodetic Survey (NGS) is conducting a 12-year project to
re-define the vertical datum of the US. This project, referred to as
GRAV-D (Gravity for the Redefinition of the American Vertical Datum;
_http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/GRAV-D_), is accomplished by flying airborne
gravity missions over the continental and coastal US. Gravity
solutions require accurate sensor positioning and accelerations,
which in turn requires precise and accurate GPS solutions for the
aircraft.

To help us facilitate our software and method development, we invite
interested researchers and practitioners to compute and submit solutions
from samples of actual GRAV-D data. A number of kinematic techniques
and methods suited for long distance flights have emerged over the
past few years. Given the challenging nature of these flights (long
distances, high altitudes, varying tropospheric regimes) and the
importance to GRAV-D, we believe applying these techniques to such a
common data set would also be of great interest to the kinematic
community.

This is a strictly voluntary exercise for those interested in such a
comparison and we will share our results with the participants. We
are also interested in possibly co-authoring a publication with the
participants on the topic if results are significant.

Additional information, including a description of the test as well
as the test data set, is available at the following FTP site:

_ftp://ftp.ngs.noaa.gov/dist/tdiehl/Kinematic_GPS_Processing_Challenge/_

Please read through the test description and email Gerry Mader
(gerald.l.mader at noaa.gov) if you plan to participate or if you have
any questions. Also, please feel free to forward this announcement to anyone or group who you think might be interested but might not be on this mailing list. We look forward to your participation!

Gerry Mader

Vicki Childers

National Geodetic Survey

Dr. Gerald L. Mader                      Off: 301 713 2854
Chief, Geosciences Research Division    Cell: 240 417 5989
National Geodetic Survey/NOS/NOAA         Fx: 301 713 4475
Silver Spring, MD 20910            gerald.l.mader at noaa.gov