[unav_all] Megathrust Sessions at AGU 2010 Fall Meeting

Aron Meltzner meltzner at gps.caltech.edu
Sat Aug 28 17:22:22 MDT 2010

Dear Colleagues,

We'd like to remind you of five related sessions on subduction zone megathrusts that we think will interest many people on this list.  The session descriptions are below.  We welcome you to submit an abstract to one of these sessions.  The scheduling of these sessions will be coordinated to avoid time conflicts and to facilitate cross-session communication.

Please pass this along to any potentially interested colleagues and students, and let us know if you have any questions.  We apologize if you receive multiple copies of this announcement due to cross-posting on multiple lists.

Sincerely,
Aron Meltzner

for
Sergio Barrientos, Benjamin Brooks, Kelin Wang, Daniel Melnick,
Laura Wallace, Rebecca Bell, Susan Schwartz, Hiroshi Sato,
Saneatsu Saito, Lisa McNeill, Demian Saffer, Michael Underwood,
Chris Goldfinger, Aron Meltzner, Ian Shennan, and Robert Witter,
  Session Conveners

==========

U04:  The M 8.8 Chilean Earthquake of 27 February 2010 (Webcast. INVITED only. See G04)

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/program/scientific_session_search.php?show=detail&sessid=731

Description:  This event will lead to many new geodynamical insights because of its size, the unprecedented quantity of pre-, co-, and post-seismic observations available to study it, and its proximity to the rupture zone of the M 9.5 1960 earthquake. Geophysicists and geodesists rapidly deployed a range of instrumentation to compliment existing arrays. Geologists, tsunami researchers, and engineers also fanned out to observe the impact of this event. We encourage contributions that address geologic, seismic, geodetic, and tsunami observations to constrain models of all phases of the seismic cycle in the impacted region as well as the relationship, if any, between seismogenic behavior and the long-term evolution of the forearc, arc, and backarc regions. This session comprises invited papers only. Please submit contributed papers to the companion session, G04.

==========

G04:  The Magnitude 8.8 Chilean Earthquake of 27 February 2010

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/program/scientific_session_search.php?show=detail&sessid=252

Description:  This event will lead to many new geodynamical insights because of its size, the unprecedented quantityof pre-, co-, and post-seismic observations available to study it, and its proximity to the rupture zone of the M 9.5 1960 earthquake. Geophysicists and geodesists rapidly deployed a range of instrumentation to compliment existing arrays. Geologists, tsunami researchers, and engineers also fanned out to observe the impact of this event. We encourage contributions that address geologic, seismic, geodetic, and tsunami observations to constrain models of all phases of the seismic cycle in the impacted region as well as the relationship, if any, between seismogenic behavior and the long-term evolution of the forearc, arc, and backarc regions.This session is accompanied by an overview Union Session U04.

==========

T08:  What Controls Strong vs. Weak Coupling on Subduction Interface Faults?

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/program/scientific_session_search.php?show=detail&sessid=688

Description:  Some subduction margins have strong interseismic coupling and produce Great subduction earthquakes, while others are weakly coupled. This session seeks to explore:1)What observations characterize strongly vs. weakly coupled margins? 2)What physical models can explain differences in coupling at subduction margins globally? 3)What does "interseismic coupling" mean physically, and how does slip occur at "partially" coupled margins? We invite submissions comparing subduction margin geometry, seismicity/slow slip/tremor and physical properties at strong and weak margins. Contributions from margins that show along-strike transitions from weak to strong coupling (e.g. SW Japan, New Zealand, Alaska) are strongly encouraged.

==========

T26:  From Sediment Inputs to Seismogenesis at Subduction Zones

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/program/scientific_session_search.php?show=detail&sessid=706

Description:  Recent research projects on subduction zones have been capturing the entire picture of subduction processes from the inputs of sediment and basalt to seismogenesis. The objective of this session is to foster discussions among disciplines and among researchers working on various subduction zones, both modern and ancient. We welcome presentations showing recent results of ocean drilling, geophysical investigations, laboratory studies, and analytical or numerical modeling.

==========

T29:  Subduction-Zone Segmentation over Multiple Earthquake Cycles

http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/program/scientific_session_search.php?show=detail&sessid=709

Description:  Understanding controls on rupture limits and the persistence or lack of segmentation along subduction zones has been limited due to the paucity of long records over multiple earthquake cycles. In the few well-documented cases, some barriers in one sequence are broken through in another. The identification of more persistent barriers and processes controlling them cannot be addressed without longer paleoseismic records coupled with a theoretical basis for plate boundary segmentation. We seek abstracts pertaining to paleoseismic, paleogeodetic, paleotsunami and historical studies as well as innovative methods, regional syntheses, and models that explore the occurrence and causes of megathrust segmentation.

You may now search and view all accepted sessions on the meeting website:
http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/program/scientific_session_search.php

You can submit your abstract at
http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm10/program/abstract_submissions.php
The abstract submission deadline is Thursday, 02 September 2010, at 23:59 U.S. Eastern Daylight Time.