[unav_all] EGU2010 session: large continental faults

Jean-Mathieu Nocquet nocquet at geoazur.unice.fr
Thu Jan 7 06:42:12 MST 2010

---------------

Dear colleagues,

With our apologies for cross-posting.

The meeting of the European Geophysical Union (EGU, General Assembly)
will take place in Vienna (Austria) from 2 to 7 May 2010. We kindly
request your contributions and invite you to join us and send
abstracts to the following session (shared with Tectonophysics,
Geodesy and Seismology sections):

TS8.3/G8/SM2.9
Large continental faults and related earthquake cycle: short vs long
term slip rate
and their role in continental deformation
Convener: M. Meghraoui
Co-Conveners: J.-M. Nocquet

Deadline for abstract submission is : 18 January 2010

Recent tectonic, geodetic and seismological studies along large
continental faults in the eastern Mediterranean region (North
Anatolian Fault, East Anatolian Fault and Dead Sea Fault) are
providing new data and results demonstrating the complex nature of
continental tectonic structures. The well known history of earthquake
ruptures in the Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East offers unique
opportunity to develop an integrated approach including active
tectonics studies, paleoseismology, geodesy with advanced modelling of
seismic sources and the earthquake cycle. Our session aims at
gathering contributions that improve our understanding of the fault
behaviour, the earthquake cycle and rheology in relationship with the
regional deformation.
In this session, we seek contributions on fault slip rates
determination at different time scales from a few decades (short term
using GPS and/or InSAR) to several thousands of years (long-term using
neotectonics and paleoseismology). We encourage submission of
abstracts on fault complexity and their relationships to the
occurrence of large earthquake ruptures, the modelling of active
deformation and properties of the crust/lithosphere. Our aim is to
discuss methods to analyze field data, as well as the discrepancies
between results to provide the current state-of-knowledge of the
active tectonics of major fault systems.

Please find all information about our session TS8.3/G8/SM2.9 of the
EGU 2010 in
Link: http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2010/session/3066

Looking forward in meeting you in Vienna,

Mustapha Meghraoui and Jean-Mathieu Nocquet