[unav_all] January 12 Haiti Mw 7.0 earthquake - UNAVCO response in progress

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Fri Jan 15 09:51:04 MST 2010

UNAVCO Community Members,

Our sympathies go out to the people of Haiti in the wake of of the
January 12 Haiti Mw 7.0 earthquake.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2010rja6.php

On behalf of the science community, UNAVCO is acting on several
requests to respond to the Haiti earthquake with data acquisition.
Please find UNAVCO’s Event Response policy at: http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/Event-Response.pdf

Event response capatility is also linked through this page:
http://www.unavco.org/support/event-response/event-response.html

Please also remember that UNAVCO's Project Support Request form is
always an appropriate point of entry if you don't know where else to
start.  It is linked from our front page and found directly from:
http://www.unavco.org/support/support.html

Jim Normandeau  has been designated UNAVCO's Event Response
Coordinator to handle our response for the Haitian earthquake, a Mw
7.0 event.  His contact information is found at the end of this
message.  We try to drive as much communication as possible to the
forum so that anyone can view the history of communications to date:

The Haiti earthquake forum can be found at: http://www.unavco.org/voce/viewforum.php?f=46

Here is a brief summary of current response activities.

EQUIPMENT
- Campaigns GPS systems:
UNAVCO has campaigns systems readily available along with associated
ancillary equipment.
Additional campaign that have just been returned  from recent
projects  are being made ready.
In addition, necessary modifications of the campaign systems are being
made to prepare them for semi-permanent (1+ years)  deployment should
the need arise.

-LIDAR :
Dave Phillips is coordinating the effort to make  a TLS (Terrestrial
Laser Scanner) system available.

GPS DATA:
Standard daily (15sec) files from permanent station in the Caribbean
are available from the UNAVCO Data Archive Interface
http://facility.unavco.org/data/dai.html

High rate GPS data:
UNAVCO is downloading 5 Hz data from the Caribbean Hurricane
Prediction Network (PI: Dr. John Braun) and these data have been made
available at:
ftp://data-out.unavco.org/pub/highrate/rinex/

1Hz data is available at the UNAVCO archive from the Puerto Rico
Network (PI; Guoquan Wang). 10Hz data is also being downloaded and
made available.

Data from PBO station P780 is being downloaded too and is available at
the UNAVCO archive

BOREHOLE GEOPHYSICS DATA:
Borehole strainmeter data from the PBO network are also available.
Relevant to this earthquake, borehole strainmeter data from PBO are
found at:
http://borehole.unavco.org/bsm/earthquakes/HaitiRegion_20100112/

PBO strainmeter data can always be found linked of the program's home
page:
http://pboweb.unavco.org/

PBO Borehole seismometer data are archived at IRIS.edu.

SAR data:
There are no SAR data for the earthquake area currently in the WInSAR
or EarthScope archives. There are plans to assemble data which will be
made available through the Supersites website at http://supersites.unavco.org/main.php
. We are in the process of posting the plans on the site.

If you need more specific information that is not forthcoming from the
forum or the provided links, please contact Jim Normandeau who can
help you or direct you.  Please also check the forum for updates.

  Jim’s contact information is:
  UNAVCO
  6350 Nautilus Drive
  Boulder, CO 80301