[unav_all] congratulations due

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Mon Jan 18 13:58:55 MST 2010

UNAVCO Community Members,

It is with mixed emotions that I write to tell you of Dr. Susan
Eriksson's decision to retire from UNAVCO this spring and to pursue
other interests.  While we wish her well in her future endeavors, we
will also miss Susan and her passion for diversity, education, and
science.

Susan wrote her colleagues at UNAVCO last Friday:       "I am retiring
from UNAVCO to move on to the next chapter of my life and career.  The
last 5.5 years at UNAVCO has been an incredible experience for me –
the friends, professional colleagues, building the E&O program, and
even learning about geodesy!  I came with the expectation that I would
stay 3-5 years and then figure out what the next stage is. That time
is here.   I intend to do some consulting, spend more time with my
art, and also bring together what I’ve learned over the last decades
in geosciences to do some writing and mentoring. "

In 2004,Will Prescott hired Dr. Eriksson to establish an Education and
Outreach program at UNAVCO. Under her leadership in the past 5 years,
UNAVCO as a community has made great strides in its efforts to broaden
the use of geodesy by the education and scientific community with a
specific emphasis on training the next generation of Earth
scientists.  The internship program has promoted diversity among
researchers and students, and the E&O program staff, along with
scientists and educators across the country, have disseminated
scientific advances of the geodetic community in various educational
settings.

Every aspect of UNAVCO E&O attests to Susan's passion and leadership.
The program is both diverse and robust, and has touched hundreds of
students, teachers, scientists, and interns.  With this success,
community expectations have grown:   the UNAVCO Short Course Series,
educational materials and workshops, data tools for educators, and
internship opportunities are in great demand.  Cumulatively, community
scientists have added content and teaching to the ‘program’ over 400
times!  Almost 200 scientists have benefited from the expertise of
their colleagues in the GAMIT/GLOBK, strainmeter, Terrestrial Laser
Scanning, LiDAR, and InSAR workshops – a systematic program
implemented under Susan's leadership.

Through collaboration with other organizations, Susan led UNAVCO to
increase the level of success within all endeavors while building and
broadening the UNAVCO community. In particular, contributing to the
EarthScope Education and Outreach efforts has put data and science
from the Plate Boundary Observatory in front of hundreds of teachers
and faculty.  Partnership with IRIS has provided a collaborative model
in which UNAVCO and IRIS work together on projects such as RESESS
(with UNAVCO in the lead) and the Active Earth Display (led by IRIS).
UNAVCO plays a role in supporting community research and education
programs such as POLENET, Teachers on the Leading Edge, TXESS
Revolution, PIRE US-China project, and others.   Dr. Eriksson’s talent
in forging relationships that pool the resources and gifts of
organizations and individuals has been key in establishing UNAVCO as a
recognized geosciences education program within a few years.

Susan has also provided leadership in NSF-funded workshops such as the
2007 Cascadia workshop that involved educators and scientists to
identify the important scientific concepts to be incorporated into
education and outreach efforts.  The 2008 workshop for E&O
professionals in NSF GEO has resulted in an active network of NSF
projects, and the January 2010 workshop on geo-cybereducation was co-
sponsored by UNAVCO.  Efforts to expand our community to include the
Society for the Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans (SACNAS),
with UNAVCO initiating a yearly field trip for approximately 50
undergraduate students.  In 2009, UNAVCO received a plaque for service
to the National association of Black Geologists and Geophysicists
(NABGG), and is one of the first members of the Geoscience Alliance, a
new organization to advance geosciences.

Building ‘buy in’ and contributions by community scientists has been a
major goal that Susan has actively advanced on our behalf as a UNAVCO
community.  Helping principal Investigators in crafting successful
education and outreach activities of broader impact is taking off.
In 2009, E&O supported 12 individual PI’s in proposal development, and
we have received feedback that these efforts have directly contributed
to proposal success.   Through these, UNAVCO has supported young
investigators, post-doctoral fellows, and large collaborative projects.

Please join me in recognizing the vision, passion, and hard work
behind these accomplishments and in wishing Susan Eriksson well, as
she undertakes new adventures.  She and I, and in fact all of UNAVCO,
are committed to a transition that honors and ensures her legacy on
behalf of the UNAVCO community and our broader constituencies.  We
will look to you for help as we move into recruiting.

Regards,

meghan at unavco.org