[unav_all] David Carlson named UNAVCO Education and Outreach Director

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Wed Jun 30 13:06:03 MDT 2010

Colleagues,

It is my great pleasure to inform you that Dr. David Carlson has accepted the post of Director, Education and Outreach at UNAVCO.

Dr. Carlson comes to UNAVCO with significant career contributions as a faculty member and a director of both research and outreach programs.  He is an oceanographer who has worked across many disciplines within the Geosciences including oceanography, atmospheric sciences, and the cryosphere. Two large climate programs, of regional focus but with global impact, have benefitted from his oversight:  the Tropical Ocean - Global Atmosphere Coupled Ocean-Atmosphere Response Experiment (TOGA COARE) of 1992-1993 and the International Polar Year (IPY) 2007-2008.  These programs stimulated international cooperation and interdisciplinary collaboration and achieved an ambitious program of research, recruitment and public engagement.  He is also well versed in geoscience facility support, having directed NCAR's Atmospheric Technology Division for nearly a decade, and is familiar with UNAVCO from the days of our residency at UCAR.

At UNAVCO, Dr. Carlson will support the community in promoting understanding of geosciences, fostering collaboration between scientific and educational communities, and increasing the number and diversity of students who will become the next generation of geoscientists.  We are fortunate for the considerable experience that he brings to this venture.

Dr. Carlson will transition from his current position as Director of the IPY International Programme Office on October 1, 2010 when the IPY program ends and his obligations there are complete.  We anticipate working closely between now and then to ensure the strength and continuity of the program during the transition.   Please join me in welcoming Dave to UNAVCO.

Best,

meghan at unavco.org

http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/acknowledgment.html