[unav_all] Caribbean science challenges - your thoughts....

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Fri Mar 5 17:50:06 MST 2010

UNAVCO Community,

I am writing to ask your input on the compelling science/natural hazards problems that could be addressed in the Caribbean region by a significant investment in geodetic infrastructure.

Through our strategic planning process, we collectively articulated a vision that intentionally diminishes artificial distinctions between basic and hazards-related science:

In order to advance understanding of Earth processes, two major scientific challenges face UNAVCO’s research and education community:
	• To understand the dynamic evolution of the lithosphere, cryosphere, hydrosphere, and atmosphere on temporal scales spanning seconds to millennia.
	• To investigate the processes that control natural hazards, including earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, and long term changes in climate, ice mass, global sea level, and coastal subsidence.

In this context, we seek your thoughts on the fundamental science questions in regional tectonics and natural hazards, as background for planning an appropriate investment in geodetic infrastructure in the Caribbean region, questions that might guide the development of longer term plans for geodetic observations:

	• What are the key pressing geoscience questions that could be addressed by a regional investment in geodetic infrastructure across the Caribbean?
	• What observational capability, deployment strategies, and data sets would be most beneficial to addressing these science questions?
	• How would such an investment contribute to regional capacity building, nurture existing and future collaborations with Caribbean scientists, and develop educational and research capabilities?

We seek your feedback through any of the following mechanisms:
1-  By response to this message.  I  will ensure that responses get posted to the UNAVCO Haiti Response Forum so that they can be openly viewed.

2-  While the hazards under discussion are much broader than earthquakes alone, please also plan to attend a Special Topics Sessions at next week's UNAVCO Science Workshop:  (a) on the Haiti earthquake on Thursday morning or (b) Capacity Building for Science across the Globe, on Tuesday afternoon.

3-  We also welcome any contributions that you might have prepared for last week's  26th Annual Symposium on Caribbean Geology:  Advanced Sciences and Technologies for Geological hazards Study and Mitigation.

Thank you for your assistance with this plan!

Regards,

meghan at unavco.org

Save the date:	March 9 - 11, 2010
UNAVCO Science Workshop