[unav_all] Job Opening at UNAVCO - Regional Engineer, PBO East
weber at unavco.org
Thu Jan 20 16:08:10 MST 2011
APPLICANTS MUST APPLY AT: www.unavco.org/careers
Position: Regional Engineer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports to: Operations Manager
Created: 7/2003; Revised: 1/2011
Summary of Job
This individual is primarily responsible for leading a regional engineering team to site, permit, install, commission, and maintain GPS permanent station and strainmeter networks within a designated region.
Essential Job Functions
· Develop, modify, maintain, troubleshoot, and repair GPS permanent station and strainmeter instrumentation and associated telemetry systems.
· Assist in selecting sites for installation of tiltmeter, strainmeter, GPS permanent station and other PBO instruments and telemetry equipment including coordination with siting and permitting of USArray stations.
· Coordinate staff and subcontractors in the proper installation of PBO instruments, e.g., securing permits, installing instrumentation, overseeing drilling operations, organizing logistic and construction efforts, and supervising and coordinating personnel.
· Coordinate PBO efforts with regional academic institutions and municipal, county, and state agencies.
· Contribute to scientific and engineering presentations on the PBO regional network, as directed.
· Responsible for the regional budget, schedule, and planning activities. Coordinate and provide written reports on regional subcontracts, budgets, cost tracking, estimating, and scheduling. Identify critical path elements of the regional construction plan and work with PBO management to rectify high-risk issues.
· Manage a small team of field engineers and seasonal employees. Oversee field-engineering team to carry out work assignments; resolve most conflicts that arise; coordinate work with others as necessary. Keep PBO Operations Manager informed of progress, or potentially controversial matters. Train, assign work to, and check work of field engineering team and participate in the decision to hire, fire, and promote of field engineering staff.
· Regarding any element of the UNAVCO strategic plan, coordinate synergistic activities between UNAVCO Facility, PBO, and E&O staff.
· Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, this individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills and Knowledge
· Experience supervising complex construction or engineering tasks.
· Experience designing and installing data acquisition or remote sensing systems and related infrastructure.
· Demonstrated ability to supervise field personnel.
· Ability to coordinate regional subcontracts, budgets, cost tracking, estimating, and scheduling with PBO Headquarters including project planning, management, and reporting, including formal cost-schedule-control techniques.
· Demonstrated inter-personal skills in working with scientific and engineering professionals, from entry-level to very experienced, and with scientific community representatives.
· Working knowledge of strain measurement technology, high precision GPS instruments and installation procedures, LIDAR, InSAR, DC power systems, data telemetry, and data processing.
· Working knowledge of computer operating systems including LINUX and Microsoft based systems. Must have working knowledge of computer programming (C, Java, Perl, Python) and web development (HTML, XML) programs and practices; PowerPoint; serial and IP interfaces; project analysis and management packages (MS Project or similar); standard personal computer software; and e-mail, internet, and web interfaces.
· Good oral and written communication skills in English.
· Ability to travel for extended periods of time, including travel outside of assigned region.
· Must have a valid driver’s license
· Must have a “satisfactory” driving record and be insurable on UNAVCO’s auto insurance policy.
· Experience in processing GPS data and analyzing results is desired.
Required Experience and Education
· Bachelors degree in Geology, Geophysics, Civil or Electrical Engineering, or similar field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Minimum of five years of relevant experience in Earth science and related facility development; or equivalent education and experience.
Preferred Experience and Education
· Masters degree in Geology, Geophysics, Civil or Electrical Engineering, or similar field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must be able to balance, bend, stoop, climb, kneel, crawl, and climb stairs; sit for sustained periods of time; use fingers and repetitive motion on computing and communications devices; ability to carry and lift items over 45 pounds; ability to reach above shoulders; ability to walk in remote areas over rough terrain in extreme weather conditions; ability to hear and speak effectively on phone; the ability to see technical components in low lighting conditions. Must be able to fly in confined aircrafts.
Must be able to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions. Must be able to organize and prioritize work schedules of others. Must be able to make decisions which have significant impact on the department’s credibility operations and services. Must be able to compose reports and to orally communicate technical information. Must be able to communicate with individuals utilizing telephone. Must be able to compose detailed reports. Must be able to compute, analyze and interpret complex data for report purposes.
This position reports to the Operations Manager. Positions reporting into the Regional Engineer include Field Engineers I, II and/or III and Field Assistants.
Specific Job Functions For PBO-East Region
The incumbent will coordinate the operations and maintenance of the GPS network and perform other essential job functions related to geodetic instrumentation within the Eastern region of the Plate Boundary Observatory network, which extends from Canada to Mexico and from Nevada to New York.
Melissa M. Weber
6350 Nautilus Dr.
Boulder, CO 80301
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all