[unav_all] Internship Challenge

Val Sloan sloan at unavco.org
Mon Jan 31 15:54:55 MST 2011

Dear UNAVCO Community,

The RESESS Internship deadline is approaching (Feb. 10th), and I am writing to ask each of you to encourage ONE minority student to apply. You may know that RESESS is an NSF-funded internship program whose mission is to increase the participation of students in minority groups in the geosciences. The paucity of minorities in the Earth sciences is illustrated by the fact that only about 3 African Americans, 1 Native American and 12 Hispanic Americans get Ph.D.s in the Earth Sciences (out of ~350 resident Ph.D.s) in the U.S. each year (NSF data), even though together these groups make up more than 1/4 of the general population. Our program uses strategies shown to help minority students succeed.

Please help increase our applications by making an effort with one student this week.  Talk to that student, send him or her this email, and urge them to apply. See what a great program it is at our UNAVCO Highlight, web page, and in our poster below.

For students in general, encourage them to check out this comprehensive list of internships compiled by Anne Sheehan at the University of Colorado.

Thank you for your help in making a difference.

Val Sloan
Program Director, RESESS Internship

*************
RESESS Internship for Minorities

Based at UNAVCO in Boulder, Colorado, this supportive internship program provides interns with an authentic research experience, writing training, mentoring, and community.  Students may also suggest projects from their community that are of interest to them.  We provide travel costs, housing, a competitive salary, and a partial scholarship for the following academic year.

Eligibility: juniors or sophomores who are in math, physics, Earth science, engineering or closely related subjects, and who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

The application process is outlined below.  You can find out more about this great program at our UNAVCO Highlight or the RESESS web page.

APPLICATION PROCESS

1. Fill out the online application.

2. Email unofficial transcripts to resess at unavco.org  OR fax them to: 303-381-7501, Attn: RESESS

3. Ask TWO references to fill out recommendation forms
- the recommendation form is attached below.  Details are available on the RESESS web page and I am attaching the recommendation form.

Valerie Sloan, Ph.D.
Program Director
RESESS Internship
UNAVCO