[unav_all] FCC Comment Period on LightSquared ends August 1

Frederick Blume Blume at unavco.org
Thu Jul 28 16:41:00 MDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

As you know, the Federal Communications Commission is considering whether to grant LightSquared permission to use the Mobile Satellite Services (MSS) spectrum adjacent to GPS for high-powered terrestrial transmissions.  In January the FCC ordered two independent testing groups, one from the Federal Government's National Space-Based PNT Systems Engineering Forum (NPEF) and one from an independent Technical Working Group (TWG).  Both the NPEF and TWG test reports and a summary of the issue can be found on the PNT.gov website:
http://www.pnt.gov/interference/lightsquared/

I served as a technical advisor to the "High Precision, Timing, and Networks Sub-Team" of the TWG that reviewed data and drafted a final TWG report.   The test results demonstrated that LightSquared's proposed MSS transmissions would affect most, if not all, high-precision GPS/GNSS receivers such as those in use by UNAVCO and its community.  No possible mitigation strategies were tested. The harmful transmissions would be concentrated in urban centers, but there would be impact in rural areas as well.

There is an opportunity for concerned parties to make their voices heard on this issue.  The FCC is accepting public comments on the LightSquared proposal through August 1 at this website:
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/ecfs/proceeding/view?name=11-109

Another excellent resource for information on the LightSquared issue is the industry's "Coalition to Save Our GPS":
http://www.saveourgps.org/
where executive summaries of the formal reports, links to various news reports, and quick links for government contacts to facilitate feedback can be found.

Finally, the geodesy community will be represented on Capitol Hill next week by the USGS when the The House Science, Space, and Technology Committee will hold a hearing on the "Impacts of the LightSquared Network on Federal Science Activities" on Wednesday, August 3.

Please contact me if you'd like more information.
Best regards,
Freddy Blume

Dr. Frederick Blume
Sr. Project Manager