[unav_all] Sendai earthquake: up to 6 meters of coastal displacement

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Sat Mar 12 10:10:42 MST 2011

UNAVCO Community,

We now have a report from Jeff Freymueller of 5-6 meter GPS determined surface displacements along the northeast coast of Japan.

This message contains information on the activities that UNAVCO has undertaken in response to Friday's great earthquake in northeastern Japan. Please find these resources on our web site:

	• UNAVCO Science Highlight, features geodetic resources, including a GPS-determined displacement field from Japan's Headquarters for Earthquake Research Promotion. It also contains useful links to other results and community resources.

	• Freddy Blume is the event response coordinator for this earthquake and is UNAVCO's point of contact:  blume at unavco.org.

	• Please use the forum for communications and updates, so those who join the conversation at a later time can access the entire thread:
		http://www.unavco.org/voce/viewforum.php?f=54

	• Many preliminary results and other resources are already posted to these UNAVCO web pages:
Science highlight:  http://www.unavco.org/community_science/science_highlights/2011/M8.9-Japan.html
GEO Supersite:  http://supersites.earthobservations.org/honshu.php

	• If you would like UNAVCO support for accessing data, geodesy education resources, coordination of community activities, or have other requests related to this event, please let us know and we will help with proposals and projects on a best effort basis within current scope or in support of securing new resources. UNAVCO's Project Support Request form is always an appropriate point of entry if you don't know where else to start.  It is linked from our front page and found directly at: http://www.unavco.org/support/support.html   If you need help in filling out this form, call the event coordinator or your favorite UNAVCO staff member to work with you on this.

	•  For inclusion in UNAVCO’s other web pages, send links (with a complete, copy-eidited caption, appropriate attribution and acknowledgment, and your name affiliation) to Val Sloan: sloan at unavco.org.

	• For inclusion of results in UNAVCO-hosted GEO supersite http://supersites.earthobservations.org/honshu.php, send images and information to Susanna Gross at gross at unavco.org.

	•  You can link to UNAVCO's science highlights and what's hot..... from our home page at:   http://www.unavco.org/

	•  The event policy as well as the forum for this event can be accessed from:  http://www.unavco.org/support/event-response/event-response.html.

And, of course, you can always call me directly.

Finally, we are formally debriefing after each event to review and refine our response protocols.   If you have feedback on how we can continue to improve our web and community presence, please write to me or to the event coordinator.

We look forward to hearing from you as this astonishing story unfolds.

Meghan

P.S.  For an awe-inspiring 4 minutes......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0l6z0HaUAM

meghan at unavco.org

http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/acknowledgment.html