[unav_all] upcoming MRI call - tell us your plans by December 2

Meghan Miller meghan at unavco.org
Tue Nov 1 12:36:23 MDT 2011

UNAVCO Community,

NSF has announced an annual Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) call, with an NSF deadline of January 26, 2012.   If you are considering using UNAVCO resources, by December 2, 2011 we would like to receive the information needed to prioritize possible UNAVCO submissions.

Program announcement:
http://www.nsf.gov/od/oia/programs/mri/
There is a link to FAQ and the proposal solicitation from this page.

Please also note that the new NSF Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG) will be in effect for proposals submitted to this deadline.
http://www.nsf.gov/publications/pub_summ.jsp?ods_key=nsf11001

There are several ways to collaborate with UNAVCO for this proposal call:
1.  Submission of an MRI - Instrument Development proposal with UNAVCO work included as less than 20% of the total budget in the form of a subaward.  In such a case, UNAVCO participation would not count against UNAVCO's organizational limit of 3.  UNAVCO is unlikely to be able to contribute to any cost share requirement, as our sources of non-federal funds is quite limited.  For such a project, support can be requested through the web page at http://facility.unavco.org/project_support/project_support.html.

2.  UNAVCO submission of an MRI proposal on behalf of, or in collaboration with, member institutions.  Because UNAVCO is subject to the cost share requirement, and yet has only negligible non-federal sources for matching funds, this approach requires a plan to meet the 30% cost share requirement.

3.  Depending on proposal pressure, we may also be able to participate as a subaward on another's proposal.   Again, UNAVCO is unlikely to be able to contribute to the 30% cost share requirement.

Please note that a university may contribute to meeting UNAVCO's cost share without counting the UNAVCO submission against the university's organizational limit, as long as the university is not receiving a related award or subaward (or the subaward is less than 20% of an Instrument Development proposal).  Real and in-kind contributions of international partners can also meet the cost sharing requirement.

If you are interested in advancing a proposal through UNAVCO, the board would like to review the following:

1.  Preliminary project summary with science goals, and a description of intellectual merit and broader impacts.
2.  Draft project budget
3.  A short memorandum that addresses these questions (approximately 1 page):
	A.  How does the project align with UNAVCO's mission and goals?
			http://www.unavco.org/pubs_reports/strategic_plan/strategic-plan.html
	B.  How will the proposed project serve the UNAVCO Community?
	C.  What is the plan/commitment to meet the match requirement?
	D.  How mature is the concept?  Is the project feasible?
	E.  What NSF program will the project serve (EAR, OPP, AGS, etc….)?

Please forward your ideas for a UNAVCO community MRI proposal to me by December 2, 2011 so that they can be reviewed by the board in time for proposal development in January.

If you have any questions, please call me so that we can talk about the best way to move projects forward.

Thank you,

meghan at unavco.org

http://www.unavco.org/community/policies_forms/acknowledgment.html