[unav_all] UNAVCO program realignment of Behalf of Bill Holt

Jaime Magliocca magliocca at unavco.org
Wed Sep 7 11:42:58 MDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to let you know of a realignment of the programs within UNAVCO.
As some of you know, UNAVCO has been engaged in a self study that relied on
updating its strategic plan, as well as survey of community, governance
participants, and UNAVCO staff to identify both opportunities and
efficiencies.  Strong support for refining the focus on development of
Geodetic Infrastructure and a strong new focus on Geodetic Data Services
(data, data products, and cyber-Infrastructure across UNAVCO's supported
geodetic techniques) emerged.  This also nicely aligned with the results of
the major Management Review last January.    The board has been closely
involved in these changes and the core sponsors at NSF-EAR have been
consulted.

The UNAVCO Director of Geodetic Data Services will have a particular focus
on strengthening community-specified data products and cyber infrastructure,
and will serve as the primary point of contact for investigators and
sponsors on the UNAVCO Facility and Community cooperative agreement.  Chuck
Meertens will serve in this role.

The UNAVCO Director of Geodetic Infrastructure will have a particular focus
on the development of geodetic observing networks and systems in support of
community science goals, on strengthening international partnerships for
global geodesy, and will serve as the primary point of contact for
investigators and sponsors for the UNAVCO EarthScope/Plate Boundary
Observatory Community cooperative agreement.  We expect to post this open
position very soon.

Education and Outreach will continue with its current program direction.

UNAVCO Management is actively undertaking planning for the realignment of
UNAVCO staff and governance that will follow this change.  Until the
Geodetic Infrastructure directorship is filled, we expect to continue to
operate under the current structure at full capacity.   Chuck Meertens has
been overseeing both programs, until a new director is found.

I wanted to apprise you of this change.  We are optimistic that it will
position UNAVCO well to support a spectrum of emerging opportunities and
diversify the funding opportunities that complement core sponsorship.

Regards,

Bill Holt
Professor
Dept. of Geosciences