[unav_all] Job Posting: Software Engineer II
zilling at unavco.org
Fri Sep 9 09:47:49 MDT 2011
Software Engineer II
As a UNAVCO Software Engineer II you primary responsibility will be learning, maintaining, enhancing and problem resolution on the Plate Boundary Observatory (PBO) Dataflow system. Dataflow, written in Python and using a PostgreSql database, is a real-time system responsible for retrieving geodetic data every day from a growing network of over 1100 GPS receivers, borehole strainmeters and other geophysical instruments located throughout the western U.S., Mexico and the Carribean. You will be work with other PBO software engineers, field engineers, data archive engineers and other organizations to ensure communications are maintained, new instruments are incorporated into the network, data is being collected and delivered to various archives.
The Software Engineer is responsible for program design, construction, maintenance, testing and operations for the Dataflow system; the design of required database updates to support new Dataflow functionality and enhancements required to collect data from new instruments.
Essential Job Functions
· Acquire expertise in the configuration, operation, maintenance and construction of the PBO Dataflow system.
· Operate and monitor the state of the PBO Dataflow system and solve or participate in resolving all related problems that may arise.
· Troubleshoot problems with instrument configurations, network configurations and software.
· Design, code, and test all enhancements to the Dataflow system.
· Design and test all database changes required to support Dataflow enhancements.
· Assist other engineers in the evaluation of new geophysical instruments to determine if they will work within the current Dataflow system and, if not, the modifications and effort required to make them work.
· As needed, update underlying software to use current technologies.
· Build out a continuous testing/integration environment to ensure quality of modified software.
Skills and Knowledge
· Proficient with Python 2.7 and familiarity with Python 3
· Experience with the Python standard library, primarily; socket, multiprocessing, subprocess, argparse/optparse, logging, re, ftplib and doctest
· Experience with the Python DB API, Psycopg-2 experience desired.
· Familiarity with swig
· Experience with SQL. Experience with Postgresql preferred.
· Experience in shell scripting – bash preferred.
· Experience with an integrated development environment – Eclipse preferred.
· Excellent problem solving skills.
· Good interpersonal skills working with team members, management and other highly technical personnel.
· Desired experience –
o Subversion or other source code control system
· Knowledge or experience in GPS, geodesy, geology or geophysics is desired.
Education and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems and 4 years experience in software engineering including 2 year experience with Python OR equivalent combination of education and experience.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the unav_all