[unav_all] 2012 UNAVCO Science Workshop announcement on behalf of the 2012 Organizing Committee

Jaime Magliocca magliocca at unavco.org
Wed Sep 28 16:03:07 MDT 2011

Dear Colleagues,

Please mark your calendars for the UNAVCO Science Meeting to be held
February 28 - March 1, 2012, in Boulder, Colorado.  The meeting will
showcase scientific advances and opportunities in both core areas of the
UNAVCO community and in some emerging applications in the geosciences.  The
meeting will also provide a venue for feedback that will help in developing
the proposal for UNAVCO's next Cooperative Agreement.

As in the past, the meeting venue will be the Millennium Harvest House Hotel
in Boulder.  Registration and reception activities will start on Monday
evening, and this may cap off an informally organized ski day if there is
sufficient interest.  Technical sessions will take place Tuesday morning
through Thursday.

In planning this meeting, we would like to solicit your ideas for specific
plenary session topics and speakers, as well as breakout sessions.  During
the 2.5 days of the meeting, we will have 4 plenary sessions, each with 3 or
4 invited speakers.  We will also have rooms available for breakout groups
to meet to address important topics of interest to smaller subsets of the
participants.  And of course, there will be a poster session viewable during
the meeting.

Potential topics for the plenary sessions:

.         Imaging geodesy

.         Seafloor geodesy

.         Polar research / sea level research

.         Real-time geodesy

The technical program will be complemented by an optional field trip on
Wednesday afternoon (more details to follow).  Alternatively, participants
can opt for a tour of the UNAVCO facility.

Here is what we ask of you:

.         Please send suggestions for plenary session speakers.  As with
previous meetings, we would like to have a speaker in every plenary session
whose primary topic is Education & Outreach, and we especially welcome
suggestions for early to mid career speakers.

.         Please also advise us if you are interested in convening a
breakout session.  Suggestions should include the name of the convener, a
few sentences describing the topic, and, if possible, a rough estimate of
the number of attendees expected.  Depending on the response, we may need to
limit the addition of breakout sessions closer to the time of the meeting to
those on late-breaking topics.

We would like to gather your suggestions no later than October 28, so that
we can move forward with planning the meeting.  Please e-mail them to Jaime
Magliocca (magliocca at unavco.org), and she will forward them to the
organizing committee.

We look forward to seeing you at the 2012 UNAVCO Science Meeting in Boulder!

Organizing Committee:

Paco Gomez, University of Missouri, Chair

Jennifer Haase, Purdue University

Seth Stein, Northwestern University

Meghan Miller, UNAVCO President