[unav_all] Active Tectonics Research Study

Barrett Salisbury jbsalisb at asu.edu
Wed Feb 29 11:03:52 MST 2012

Greetings!

I am a graduate student under the direction of Dr. Ramon Arrowsmith in the
School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University.

For the next few weeks, we are conducting a research study with Dr.
Rockwell at San Diego State University to test the repeatability, accuracy,
and precision of lateral displacement measurements derived from
high-resolution topographic Light Detection and Ranging (LiDAR) data.  The
study is designed for users of all geologic backgrounds, so we cordially
invite you, your colleagues, students, and friends to take a few minutes
and help us validate our measurement methods.  All are welcome to
participate, so please pass this message to anyone you think may be
interested.  The deadline for submissions is March 16th.

Your participation will involve a brief introduction to one of three
measurement methods, measuring ten offset features, and completing a brief
experience questionnaire.  You may choose to use more than one measurement
method if you like.   Any contributions you can make are greatly
appreciated.  The surveys, along with more background information, can be
found at:

http://stockdale.sese.asu.edu/Validation/validationindex.html

Your measurement estimates will aid in the development of methods used to
assess the effects of earthquake ruptures.  All results will be kept
confidential, and responses will be tied to an identifier rather than to a
name.  The results of this study may be used in reports, presentations, or
publications.

If you have any questions concerning the research study or are interested
in using it as a classroom activity, please contact Barrett Salisbury via
email at jbsalisb at asu.edu.

Cheers, and thank you for your time!

Barrett Salisbury (M.S.), Dr. Ramon Arrowsmith, and Dr. Thomas Rockwell